Just wondering

rosieanna
on 7/25/07 2:20 pm - spokane valley, WA
For those of you who have already had surgery, after you were feeling better, what kind of exercising are  you doing? I know that walking is number one, but what other stuff are you doing? Have you joined  the gym, are you doing it at home, or what? Just trying to get an idea for the future. Thanks, Tracy

Tracy

Jeffrey Welch
on 7/26/07 9:04 am - Seattle, WA
Rounding my 5th post-op week, I've just started going to the gym again, doing both swimming and cycling.  To date I've been doing a lot more walking as well, a couple of times wearing out my "healthy" friends. At the gym on Monday I did my first 15 minutes on the cycle without becoming completely exhausted - it felt wonderful!  I am amazed at how much healthier I feel, even this soon after my WLS. -Jeff

Geminidream
on 7/27/07 3:12 am, edited 7/27/07 10:57 am - Spokane, WA
Tracy, My number one exercise is my job.  It is very physical so I count that as five days a week (eight if it is my turn to work a weekend) and then I also have a little stair stepper that I do at home.  Until my tailbone began to hurt too much I also did a pilates dvd at home to strengthen my core muscles.  It has been amazing to see how much easier it is to exercise without hauling around all my extra weight.  I can't say I enjoy it, doubt I will ever be an exercise junkie but at least it isn't so horrible. I'm just not a gym person even though one of my coworkers is trying really hard to get me to join her gym so we'd workout together.   Molly

Highest weight 268, Pre-consultation weight: 255, surgery day weight 230
corinnaq
on 7/27/07 6:12 am - Woodinville, WA
Tracy, Hey there.  I'm almost 9 months out now and quite honestly I've done very little.  Except for walking.  This summer I was out of town for two months and I started doing several 20 minute walks every day and it was amazing how quickly my legs toned up.  I think I'm one of those lucky folk who will only have to have minimal plastics but now I'm pretty sure my arms and legs can just be toned and take care of excess skin.  I'll just have to do a TT which I'm okay with.  Anyway, walking is great and you'll be SHOCKED at how much easier it is.  I've lost over 120 pounds and it has made such a huge difference in what I can do with out even breaking a sweat!!!  I love it!! Corinna Q
girlwcurl
on 9/22/07 4:51 pm - spokane, WA
i started with very gentle yoga and pilates- now at 3 months out i am ready for walking and strength training- you would be amazed though at how effective small stints of pilates and yoga can help you heal
Shell Marr
on 9/23/07 3:15 pm
Lap Band on 06/21/07 with
Well.... I guess I'm just a gym rat!!  Mon: cardio kickboxing class 60 mins Tues: weight room.... about 40 mins Wed: cardio kickboxing class 60 mins and sometime before that I might take a 25 min ab class or after the kickboxing take a weight class that is 60 mins Thur: kickboxing 60 mins Fri: kickboxing 60 min + 15 min weight combo class Sat: kickboxing 60 min  Sun: off unless I'm doing a fun run.... (5K) I don't always get all 6 days in... due to support group, fill, laundry if Im out of town over the weekend, family functions, etc... but for the most part....this is what I do! Oh... and I have not tried it YET... but I just got my hula hoop for home!! :)
high351/pre307.5/day of surgery 294.4/dr goal 187/my goal 175  

Most Active