How is it that???

MissKasey
on 7/19/07 8:55 am - Bothell, WA

I received more information in one phone call than I have during the month and a half I have been working with my surgeon and surgical center? I have researched 4 surgical centers and due to insurance coverage could only go with one. I made a call to ask about the Bariatric program through Evergreen Hospital and I had so much information, most if not all of my questions answered in a very short amount of time. The nurse I was speaking too actually made me feel like she wasn't in a hurry and I was the only person she had time for. Then I moved onto the Billing Department who again answered all my questions and then couldn't answer some. If there were questions one person couldn't answer, she offered to pass me to another person who could, after we were all done she reminded me that I had questions that weren't answered would I like to talk to the person who handles that area? And moved me on.

Is it time to look at someone else? 

I have scheduled an appointment to meet with the surgeon at Evergreen Surgical Center, in a month and I have a second appointment set up with the surgeon I have been working with tomorrow.  I have been working diligently to get my medical records for my insurance company and have scheduled and almost completed my psychological evaluation, nutrition assessment and most of the other required prerequisites for surgery. Should I ask this of my surgeon tomorrow and see if he and his staff are willing to now give me answers? I am just a bit confused as to how I can get this amount of information in a few calls that take me about an hour, and not get it from the surgical center I have been working with? I am comfortable with the surgeon, however, this process I am finding has been challenging. I am willing to work to better myself and my health, but I would think communication would have to be key in order for this to work.  Let me know what you think Please? I am somewhat frustrated... ~Kasey~

rosieanna
on 7/19/07 4:28 pm - spokane valley, WA
Hi Kasey Your story sounds almost like mine. I had worked with a wonderful Dr. who had a terrible staff. They never returned my calls, didn't know the answers to any of my questions, didn't send my insurance in after 3 calls, over a months time to them, asking if it had been sent in,  and made the whole process harder then it had to be. I had e-mailed ( the only way I could get a hold of my Dr.) my Dr. with concerns all along the way when things were really confussing with my questions and concerns. He would always call me back and say how sorry he was about how things were being handled. After the huge insurance mistake I had had enough and looked elsewhere for a Dr. I am so happy that I did! I am very happy with Dr. Rawlins and his staff. I am soooo glad I looked into another office and Dr.  I had more answers and felt more comfortable with this new office in just 1 phone call then I had in 2 months with the other Dr.I felt I had given the first Dr. a fair chance and enough trys to get things handled but things just kept getting worse. Red flags kept popping up. I was sad and felt I had wasted a lot of time but everything worked out for the best. I now have a surgery date of 7-30-07. I think you have to do what you have to do...Go with what feels right. It never hurts to check things out if your head is telling you to. Hope this helps. Sorry for the rambling on...Good luck to you! Tracy

Tracy

MissKasey
on 7/20/07 3:09 pm - Bothell, WA
Tracy,

Thanks for the insight. I met with the surgeon today. What I found out is that when I went to the seminar 6 months ago they were having their patients do a lot of the footwork. Now it seems they have brought someone on board who does all the submitting to the insurance company, they went through everything I was going to have to do. I only have to go to my appointments.

I have already completed alot of the foot work for them but they are going to put together the packet and submit everything for the insurance company.

The surgeon was surprised I hadn't made another appointment to come in. Yet my only problem was they didn't take the time to follow up with me. I explained that this was frustrating.

I have a few more phone calls to make to touch base now with their billing department and move forward. I have 2 appointments left which I will be done with within the week and they can send off all the information to my insurance company.

My insurance company said it would take up to 15 days for a decision. I think it will be much quicker than that...However, I am not getting my hopes up until they call and tell me they have authorization for everything.

Ok...now that I have rambled on and on...Sorry...I am excited but I am really trying hard to keep it all in check...Its too easy to get my hopes up.

Congratulation on finally getting a date for your surgery after the long wait...

Thanks for the support!

~Kasey~
Most Active