Anything special I should take to the hospital?

princess311
on 7/15/07 10:29 am - WA
I have my surgery in 2 days and I'm not sure what I should take to the hospital.  I have heard about chap stick, your own pillow (especially for the ride home), Ipod, my asthma medicine, and something comfy to wear.  Anyone have anymore suggestions?

preview image

rosieanna
on 7/15/07 4:27 pm - spokane valley, WA
Boy, only 2 more days! I have 14 more days! I am going to take those things you listed and my journal, readers digest, a small fan, (I get so hot ) and a good book. I bet I'll be sleeping when I'm not sipping liquids and trying to walk around! Probably won't even touch my books.  I bet you're excited! Best wishes! Tracy
RhainyC
on 7/16/07 12:07 am - Custer, WA

Hmmm, I would also take something to read if you are a reader, if not, simply make sure you have enough stuff loaded on the iPod.    Or if maybe you do knitting or crocheting...just a thought. Will be cheering for you and hoping for a swift recovery. Namaste and Blessings, Rhainy

Jeffrey Welch
on 7/16/07 9:30 am - Seattle, WA
Take a friend or significant other, one that is willing to spend the night.  They can help with personal care and support that you don't want to rely on nursing staff 100% of the time for, and really it can be a very relaxing few days. My wife came with me, and although nothing exciting happened while we were there other than the surgery itself (the TV didn't even work well), we had a nice time together chatting, gazing out the window and joking with the staff. I took my iPod, but honestly didn't spend too much time watching stuff or listening to music.  Mostly napping and healing.  I don't think I would have been comfortable enough to concentrate on reading. -Jeff

princess311
on 7/16/07 10:50 am - WA

Thanks a lot guys.  I'm getting excited.  Can't believe that it is tomorrow!  Those are all great ideas!

Geminidream
on 7/16/07 1:22 pm - Spokane, WA
Oh my gosh, Jeff....your suggestion is the number one best one I've seen.  Hospitals just aren't able to staff the way they used to and nurses and aides are so overworked that it really is a good idea to have someone with you to help fill the gap.  I'm glad your stay was relaxing, mine was borderline traumatic with a lot of extenuating cir****tances.  All I'll say is that I was desperate to get out of there and it was days later before I was able to finally feel calmed-down and relax. I looked at this thread and really couldn't think of anything to add for a must-bring list because I brought way too much stuff and never used any of it.  They provide you with everything you need in the way of small toiletries, robe, slippers, etc. so why have to worry about securing your personal belongings if you don't have to?  And I was having such a bad reaction to the pain meds that I was waaaay too loopy to concentrate on music, magazines or even tv.   Molly

Highest weight 268, Pre-consultation weight: 255, surgery day weight 230
Chubby McFatty
on 7/18/07 5:28 am - Renton, WA
I was wondering if you might have some tips you could pass along about the required pre op diet. I will be starting mine very soon, Harriett at Group Health said my surgery would be taking place sometime in October. I'll be going to the orientation soon so everything is finally starting to happen. Are they very strict about the percentage of weight you must lose before surgery. I take this diet very serious but i'm a bit nervous about it. Thanks...
Jeffrey Welch
on 7/18/07 5:48 am - Seattle, WA
First off - change that nickname.  Hate it a lot. Second - I had my surgery at Group Health 4 weeks ago, and did the Accomplish program, which you start about 2 months before you get a date.  They like you to lose 10% of the amount you are overweight prior to your surgery.  If you've been wrestling obesity for most of your life, then you already know how to lose weight short term - just do what you've done before:  eat less, exercise more, and give yourself enough cheats so you don't feel entirely deprived. No, they are not that strict - so long as you are cooperative with the nutritionist (a total waste of time and money in my experience), and don't *gain* weight in the weeks prior to the surgery. -Jeff

Most Active