Just Curious Why You Chose The Type of WLS You Chose?

RhainyC
on 7/11/07 8:57 am - Custer, WA
I am new here and while I have done a TON of research in the past, and yet more, more recently, I was wondering why each of you chose the actualy Type of WLS you had done...regardless of which type it was. With my other health issues, and eventual landing in a wheelchair, because of not being able to walk, I am choosing to look into having a DS, rather than RNY or LapBand. I would love to hear others' reasons for choosing the particular type of surgery you chose... Namaste and Blessings, Rhainy
lorisb
on 7/11/07 11:44 am - Vancouver, WA
We all have our reasons and choices.  For me it boiled down to risk.  I simply couldn't afford the risk of the other surgeries or their potential complications down the road. I like the fact that lap band is completely reversible and many of the complications can be easily fixed with a small procedure in the office and not requiring another full-scale surgery. My surgeon performs both RNY and lap band.  He had no problem with me choosing lap band. Even though I'm a slow loser, I have no regrets and would do it again. As an aside, if I were to have my band removed, I'd probably go with DS, too. Lori
Laura H.
on 7/11/07 3:56 pm - Seattle, WA
Hi Rhainy, I did a lot of research too and I chose the DS because I had a history of gastric ulcers and worried about getting marginal ulcers or ulcers in the unused stomach after RNY.  I considered the Lapband briefly but didn't like the idea of having a man made object in my body (ironically, I now have an IUD, oh well).  When I discovered the DS it just made sense to me.  I liked that it spared the pyloric valve reducing the risk of marginal ulcers and eliminating dumping.  I also liked the fact that removing most of the stomach reduced Grehlin production and therefore hunger.  One of my big fears before surgery was that I would still be hungry but unable to eat.  With the DS I just knew I had found my surgery.  If I were doing my research today I would look long and hard at the VSG before making up my mind.  When I had surgery VSG alone wasn't really an option.  If it had been I might have gone with it knowing that it would be easy to convert to a full DS if I didn't make it to goal or if I had regain.  My DS has been a huge success and I just couldn't be more pleased with the results.  By the way, we have a DS support group that meets monthly in the Seattle area.  There is a link in my signature with all of the information if you would like to come.  Our next meeting is on Saturday.  If you can make it we would love to meet you! I'm not sure if you have been to the DS board here on OH or not,(I've been a bit distracted lately) but if not please come over and check it out.  Everyone is very supportive and helpful.  Laura

Laura H.   HW=305, LW=152, GW=160-170, CW=183  
Seattle Area Duodenal Switch Meetup,
http://wls.meetup.com/90/ All are Welcome!

Laura H.
on 7/11/07 4:07 pm - Seattle, WA
Okay, I just looked up Custer on the map and it looks like you are up north.  There is also a DS group that meets in Bellingham on the second Mondays of each month.  You can get the details at www.paclap.com.  If you don't mind the trek down here we would welcome you with open arms on Saturday but I wanted to let you know that there is a closer option.  Laura

Laura H.   HW=305, LW=152, GW=160-170, CW=183  
Seattle Area Duodenal Switch Meetup,
http://wls.meetup.com/90/ All are Welcome!

RhainyC
on 7/12/07 3:12 am - Custer, WA
Laura, Thanks so much for the invite and the info.  I will try to make the meeting in Bellingham, as at the moment I have a broken truck, and no way to get to Seattle. I appreciate everyone's input on this...my main reason for chosing the DS is being able to eat reasonably normally afterwards and the fact that the stomach gets to remain normally functioning...that is important to many aspects of bodily function, in my humble opinion. Namaste and Blessings, Rhainy
auntlorlee
on 7/20/07 2:53 am - Bellingham, WA
One more thing, I DO eat normally after my RNY.  Sure I don't do alot of sweets or eat a big greasy cheeseburger anymore but I do eat normal food!!! 

~*Lori¨♥*~

281/151/135

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think". - Christopher Robin to Pooh

rosieanna
on 7/16/07 2:00 am - spokane valley, WA

After looking into the different kinds of WLS I first chose the lap-band. I thought I was settled with my decision until I talked to a friend that had had the RNY surgery. Something she said changed my mind. She said she chose the RNY because with the lap- band if she wasn't losing there could be several reasons...lap-band too tight, too loose, did it slip etc. But with the RNY if she wasn't losing she knew she wasn't doing her job and using this tool correctly. That made so much sense to me. I felt totally at peace with my decision to change to a RNY. I also have a huge "sweets" problem and know that the "dumping "that comes with the RNY and sweets might help put a end to that!!  Tracy

Jeffrey Welch
on 7/16/07 9:26 am - Seattle, WA

At the time I was approved, Group Health offered one type of surgery and one type only - the RNY-Proximal bypass.  They now offer the Lap Band as well, although to hear the two surgeon's talk it isn't because they believe that the procedure is as affective as the RNY, but because of simple consumer demand. Although I resented the lack of options initially, for someone in my own weight category, I'm feeling very good about having the RNY.  It's worked out well and I feel terrific.  Zero complications so far. -Jeff

healthyang
on 7/16/07 12:43 pm - WA

I decided on having the LapBand Surgery because I wanted something less invasive, a quicker recovery, and something reversible.  I have had a lot of raised eyebrows when I say I wanted something reversible, but my body seems to reject change.  I was terrified that with something permanent I might end up with a situation that I regretted.  I felt that with the lapband I would have less chance of malnutrition and malabsorption issues were less.  My doctor and I sat down and talked about it and he said that he was honest with his patients on what he thought was the BEST choice for them.  He felt the lapband was a better choice for me, but would support me if I decided on RNY too.  I have been very happy with the lapband thus far, as I know many are with RNY, DS, or non-surgical methods.  I think the biggest thing is soul searching, finding what YOU can live with, and going for it.  

HUGS...Angie
Highest (280)  Current (220)  Goal (Healthy)

RhainyC
on 7/16/07 2:58 pm - Custer, WA
I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone *****sponded... I had looked into WLS about 5 years ago, when I found out how bad my back acutally is...and now that it is getting worse, and I have the female issues that have shown up since January, this year, WLS seems to be the only feasible alternative...IF I can afford it. Sadly I learned today that the surgeon I want to do my LapDS requires over $8000.00 as a deposit to even schedule the surgery...so, sadly it seems I will not be able to have the surgery for several years at best...even though my insurance would cover all but about $1000.00 out of pocket.  I simply don't have the money, nor the means, to save that much for a deposit.  *sighs* So I will hope and dream, and maybe someday...while I still can walk, if I am very lucky, I will be able to have the surgery. Namaste and Blessings, Rhainy
Most Active