Anyone had surgery at Madigan Army Medical Ctr?

RNYMom
on 7/8/07 6:28 am - Lacey, WA
My daughter needs WLS, and she would prefer to have LapBand, but our insurance is TriWest Prime (military insurance). . .and they do not cover banding, and since they do lapariscopic gastric bypass at Madigan (on Ft. Lewis), that's really her only option. I had open RNY 7 years ago in Eugene myself, so she knows about life after surgery.  My experience was positive, but she's terrified of the idea of having some of her own stomach permanently removed.  She's only 22, and I think some of the fear is related to childbirth.  She's always been squirmish about pain and needles, but she really needs to do this before she turns 24 and is no longer under our insurance.  I'd love to hear from anyone out there who has experience with Madigan's Bariatric Surgery unit, and others who can share post-surgery pregnancy experiences. 

330 / 150 / 255 / 180 (highest / lowest / current / goal)
Geminidream
on 7/8/07 10:41 am - Spokane, WA
Sorry, my surgery was here in Spokane but has she already had a consult there to know that their surgeons remove part of the stomach?  My surgeon did not remove anything, the original stomach remainder is still connected (hence the Y in the Roux en Y) and sends needed enzymes and such into the intestines on a much reduced level.    I hope you get some responses soon, either here or in PM.  I know I've read posts here about other folks who have had their surgeries done at Madigan.  Undoubtedly they must have a support group that your daughter could try to attend, too.  I hope this will work out well for all of you, good luck! Molly

Highest weight 268, Pre-consultation weight: 255, surgery day weight 230
kimmee2k
on 7/22/07 2:16 pm - Phoenix, AZ
I had my surgery at Madigan and I also work there. I had a great experience with the surgeons and  had no complications. You hear things but you will hear things anywhere. The surgeons are great that i have had dealings with. There is also a support group on tues and thurs. There is a pathway you have to go to and certain classes. I am almost 9 months post op and i am very pleased.  Take Care Kim
DeeDK62
on 9/14/07 9:52 am - Lacey, WA
I had my surgery at MAMC 5 1/2 years ago.  I had complications during my open procedure (it was performed by a resident, with the surgeon watching).  They have improved vastly since my RNY.  The followup dietician is good, but my follow up after that has been poor.      They do have a support group.  Can't help with the pregnancy part, sorry.     She should do what is in her heart; no one can live her life but her.   I  would still have it done, even with my complications.  As I said, they have performed many since mine and have perfected a lot of things.   Good  luck to her.
ForestEyes
on 9/14/07 3:45 pm - Seattle, WA
I do not know of the bariatric surgery unit so I don't know if this will help, but my Grandmother had her kidney removed last month at Madigan.  I stayed with her every night and all the people there were very kind and went out of their way to keep her comfortable as well as bringing me coffee and blankets.  Good luck to your daughter.
Most Active