"Basic Cheesecake" Recipe

Geminidream
on 7/7/07 8:42 am - Spokane, WA
Hope you are all having a wonderful weekend and the pre-ops are keeping cool.  Being post-op I gotta say that this heat isn't bad.  This is the first time in a long time I've been solidly warm!   Wanted to share this recipe here for anybody that doesn't have this book.  I made it for the 4th and was really happy with it.  Posted it over on 2 other forums so I am repeating myself, sorry. From Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery by Patt Levine and Michele Bontempo-Saray. Published by Marlowe & Company, New York, 2004. Page 154: "Basic Cheesecake" This is a light, almost fluffy cheesecake that literally melts in your mouth. 1 8-ounce container fat-free creaam cheese 1/2 pound soft tofu 1/2 cup egg substitute 6 packets artificial sweetener (Splenda or Sweet 'N Low) 1/2 teaspon vanilla 1/4 teaspoon almond extract 6 tablespoons egg white substitute 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar butter-flavored cooking spray 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 2. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together cream cheese, tofu, egg substitute, sweetener, vanilla, and almond extract until smooth and creamy. 3. In a small bowl, using an electric mixer, whip egg white substitute with cream of tartar until it forms stiff peaks. 4. Gently fold whipped egg whites into cream cheese mixture. 5. Coat a 8-inch square cake pan with cooking spray and pour in batter. Place cake pan into a baking pan and pour ho****er into baking pan until it reaches halfway up the sides of the cake pan. Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes. 6. Let cool, then refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Hint: you can serve this cheesecake alone or topped with our Raspberry Sauce or Pineapple Salsa (see pages 179 and 177). Makes 8 servings. Calories: 59.13, Protein: 7.98g, Fat: 0.84g, Carbohydrates: 3.91g, Cholesterol: 5 mg, Fiber: 0.4g, Sodium: 185.46 mg. Serving guidelines For Lap-Band: Weeks 1+: Serve 1/2 slice of cheesecake. For Bypass: Weeks 1+: Serve 1/2 slice of cheesecake. For BPD-DS: Week 1+: Serve 1/2-1 slice cheesecake. For Others: Serve 1 slice of cheesecake. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- My notes.....this does come out very fluffy! I have been eating a whole piece, not the half suggested and counting it as a meal along with 2 tab. ff whipped topping and 1/4 cup fresh blueberries. Being so fluffy it doesn't stuff the pouch and is so satisfying! Made this for the 4th and have had a piece almost every day and today have frozen the remainder as single-serves with the whipped topping and 1 tab. nsa blueberry jam. I can definitely recommend this recipe! Now, the same day I also made the Straawberry Ricotta Whip from the same book and cannot recommend that recipe. It came out too foamy. The portions were too big, must have been incorrect...it made my pouch unhappy so I didn't finish mine and let the family eat it all. They didn't mind the taste of it enough to complain and they did eat it all. But I wouldn't waste the time making it again since I won't eat it and would rather make something we all liked. Even the kids tried the cheesecake and thought it wasn't bad. Molly

Highest weight 268, Pre-consultation weight: 255, surgery day weight 230
Most Active