Still Hungry

Jeffrey Welch
on 7/6/07 5:49 pm - Seattle, WA
OK, I feel like I've pretty much healed up after surgery on the 21st.  I'm starting to freak out a bit though and wonder if anyone has had similar experiences: -I still get hungry.  I have been told I would not feel hunger after this surgery, certainly not for months, but I get hungry just like I did before the surgery. -I can eat a LOT more than 2 oz or half a cup.  Even solid foods, chewed well of course.  Mind you - it's only been 2 weeks since my surgery.  What the heck? Is it possible that my surgeon didn't make my pouch small enough? Am I destined for failure?  Will I still be on a perennial diet just like before, fighting the urges and ultimately losing to them? -Jeff

rocknrobin
on 7/7/07 1:57 am - Vancouver, WA
Jeff, You must have had the bypass surgery, cause if you had the band I would say you need to have a fill. I have not had my surgery yet, but would say that you definitely need to call your doc. My  whole purpose of having this surgery is to hopefully take away that constant struggle of hunger. Good luck and don't give up. Robin
Chubby McFatty
on 7/7/07 4:28 am - Renton, WA

I'm sorry to read that your having some problems. Sounds to me like you need to call Group Health and see what they say. I was surprised to hear about the amount of food that you can eat after only 2 weeks Just be careful my friend, you don't want to pop anything. I look forward to your next post. Keep the faith Jeff.                                         Kathy

Jeffrey Welch
on 7/8/07 5:05 am - Seattle, WA
Ack - better now.  Part of the "roller coaster" I think.  Had a bout of paranoia i.e. "what if it didn't work"?  Let it get the better of me. Still very much getting used to this. -Jeff

Chubby McFatty
on 7/9/07 9:46 am - Renton, WA

Glad your feel a bit better Jeff. 25 Pounds down already....nice!!

Marybeth S.
on 7/8/07 5:44 am - Rochester Hills, MI
One of the strangest things I went through in my early post-op days was this belief that I was still hungry. I couldn't figure it out and also thought perhaps my stomach was left too large. I kept feeling a little weak, a little light headed, my stomach made growling noises.  What I eventually came to discover was that this wasn't really hunger...it was THIRST. Somehow through all the rewiring, my brain began to interpret signals differently and that made a world of difference. No, you're not destined for failure. Not at all. You've been given the tools to succeed, it's just a question of mindset. You may be able to eat more than a couple of ounces...but you don't necessarily *have* to. I think we all went through this desire to push and test to see how far we can go, I certainly did. But don't keep doubting yourself and testing and pushing...you'll just make yourself crazy.  Yes, you're on a perennial diet, my friend. For the rest of your life. But "diet" simply means a specific (and perhaps modified) selection of foods that you choose to eat for your health and well-being. It's not a punishment and try not to look at it as a lifetime of restriction...it's a lifetime of freedom and all that you have to do is slowly make some modifications. Give yourself time - you didn't get to your former weight overnight, you're not going to be able to change your entire lifestyle just as fast. It's a slow evolution but you'll get there. You're absolutely not destined for failure - quite the opposite!

BPD/DS Dr. Peters
Nov. 2002 335/50 BMI
Jan. 2018 143/21 BMI

http://fluffypuffy.wordpress.com/

auntlorlee
on 7/12/07 3:28 am - Bellingham, WA
You are only a couple weeks out.  Your pouch is STILL healing.  The nerves are trying to come back to life and that is why you can eat more than you should.  DON'T over do it.  In another week or so, if you keep trying to put more in there, you WILL regret it.  I know I did.  I am just trying to help you here so please don't take my comments the wrong way.   I am almost 2 years out from my RNY surgery.  I have been there.  I thought the same things in that first couple weeks.  And for the record, I never lost the hunger sensation.  I was and still get hungry.  Take care and don't worry, you will be fine!

~*Lori¨♥*~

281/151/135

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think". - Christopher Robin to Pooh

Jeffrey Welch
on 7/12/07 4:18 am - Seattle, WA
This has really turned out to be true - I'm finding that things have settled down a lot, and my ability to eat has settled way down, more in line with expectations. I do still get hungry but it's at the point now where it's satisfied quickly with a few bites, or even by drinking. Now 30 pounds lost in the 3 weeks since my surgery.  I imagine that will settle down too, but I'm not letting that stop me from feeling great about the way things are going! -Jeff

auntlorlee
on 7/12/07 4:24 am - Bellingham, WA
Hey Jeff!  Glad things are settling down with you.    It's very hard in the beginning trying to get your food in, water in, vitamins in, etc.  But it's so worth it in the end.  I feel great and have had no problems so far.  30 lbs is 3 weeks is awesome!  For men, the weight comes off at record pace.  Don't get discouraged if at 4-6 weeks you don't lose a lb.  It's just your body getting used to things.  You will start to lose again.  It's just a little mini plateau that most people go through in the early weeks.  Don't panic!   Just keep drinking your water and eating.  You will do GREAT!  

~*Lori¨♥*~

281/151/135

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think". - Christopher Robin to Pooh

Most Active