band stretching

Nic_Nic
on 6/25/07 2:18 pm - puyallup, WA

i was just wondering if anyone knew how common it is to have someone stretch their band well pouch i guess?? i eat pretty well but there has been a few days that i have eaten more than i know i should have.. and im kind of a worry wort so its been on my mind.. i have never vomited or anything never even burpped anything up.. my dr instrusted 1 week liquids one week mush then 3rd week introducing sloids.. i have to admit i cheated a little.. i started some solids my 2nd week like toast.. but i  was SOOO carefull to chew untill it was mushy ...thats kinda the same thing right?? lol any feed back would be great thanks.

GayleTx
on 6/25/07 2:53 pm, edited 6/25/07 2:53 pm - northeast, TX

The regime of liquids and mushies is not for the avoidance of 'stretching' your pouch....it is to protect your stitches from rough and scratchy foods......you had surgery in there, remember?  It's healing, it needs to be properly cared for so it will heal and hold tight for the rest of your life.  It will do its job if you'll do yours.     Rebellious attitudes don't work with weight loss surgery......act like a grown-up and go by the rules that were given you. 

lorisb
on 6/25/07 3:09 pm - Vancouver, WA
Ouch!  Toast!  Ouch!  That was a dangerous choice.  I've only PBd on bread products and I've heard of others complaining that bread products were also a challenge. Definitely follow your surgeon's advice. Yeah, the purpose of this time is to allow your body to heal and you don't want to do anything that jeopardizes the placement of the band and the formation of the scar tissue around the stitches and the band.  This may not seem important to you now but it is this placement process that they think help us avoid slips and prolapses (not stretches) later. There's been quite a few people lately having issues with slipped bands, band erosions and such and these people are relatively experienced bandsters. Definitely check out the lap band forum if you haven't already. Lori
Nic_Nic
on 6/25/07 7:10 pm - puyallup, WA
yeah i understand what all are sayin but i do chew to where it feels the same as pudding..  i dont know i guess i dont see the difference if im chewing so much to where it is completely mush why isnt that the same? no matter what i eat i make sure its mushy b4 i swallow.. imm very carefull.. i  have never gotten sick or even burpped... but thank u for the comments! im learning
lorisb
on 6/25/07 11:42 pm - Vancouver, WA
Hey, I think the other poster was a bit harsh (I've been harsh before so I was really trying to not be). Still, all the chewing in the world won't stop your stomach from churning to digest the food you put in it -- regardless of how much you chew it.  And, although you'll probably get a golfball effect (food hurting your stoma and stomach but still being able to pass through) or have a productive burp (bring food back up) at some point, you certainly don't want it to happen early out.  This can happen regardless of how well you chew.  Sure, chewing well usually prevents this but I've had the painful golfball effect merely by eating a well-chewed banana. It isn't just the chewing that's important.  Again, you also need to be compliant with your surgeon's orders.  Why do I say this?  Because there ARE surgeons out there who put their lap band patients on three months of liquids post-op and there ARE surgeons out there who have their patients start eating food immediately. I don't know if anyone has studied slippage/erosion rates for either group of patients, though. Your question and our responses are the same as those asked on the lap band forum on an almost daily basis so you're certainly not alone. You're in a bit different situation if I read your story correctly.  I believe it looked like your surgeon wanted you to start eating solids earlier than mine so that's why I keep referring you back to your surgeon.  When others say they're hungry and want to start eating x, y, or z, I usually tell them to ask their surgeons if they can advance their foods. Whatever you do, it is your choice.  I tend to err on the side of caution.  Just go slow and don't eat anything you don't want to come up again (at the very least, you don't typically have the nasty bile taste and burning sensation like when you vomit when you have a PB -- it just really hurts). Be aware of solid, dry proteins (like chicken and pork can be).  I try to make sure I have some type of gravy or sauce (low fat, of course) on problem foods.  Things like salmon go down so nicely that I've found with restriction that I'm naturally gravitating towards those softer solid proteins so I am very much watching what I'm eating, too, to make sure I'm not relying on soft foods too much.  Its always something, lol. You'll do fine if you follow your surgeon's orders.  I was able to eat a 12 inch sub (with a toasted bun like Quizno's) post-op but it was about three months out from surgery before I really even tried.  Now I can't eat anything there but maybe an occasional salad.  Restriction really can change how well you're able to eat.  Its odd but I'm still thrilled with my band. Lori
Nic_Nic
on 6/26/07 1:34 am - puyallup, WA
thanks.. no worries.. i didnt feel u were harsh.. thanks for the advice!
Most Active