Had Bypass 6/21 at Group Health

Jeffrey Welch
on 6/25/07 4:19 pm - Seattle, WA
Hi, all, I've not posted here recently, but have been reading for months. I had the Rouen-Y Proximal bypass at Group Health on the 21st.  I've been home since Saturday night.  If anyone is thinking about it and has questions or wants to hear more about my experience from the years and months leading up to it to present day - I'm at your service. -Jeff
mlchristie69
on 6/26/07 12:08 pm - Spokane, WA
 Congrats on your surgery.  You are officially on your way to a healthier life.  Way to go.  Good luck to you.  Can't wait to join everyone on the loosers bench.  Will keep you in my prayers for a safe, healthy recovery.    Michelle

We all came on different ships but, were in the same boat now.   Dr. Martin Luther King, Hugs, Michelle
DOS: 274 pounds (08/21/07)
Current: 176 pounds (08/28/09)
Goal: 150 pounds

Jeffrey Welch
on 6/26/07 12:33 pm - Seattle, WA
Michelle, Thanks.  I'm now 5 days post-op and every day am feeling a bit more normal.  I did experience a fair amount of pain, which didn't really get going until about 12 hours after the surgery.  It was well controlled with a PCA (pain pump) through my IV, though I did need one "boost" when I woke up in the night with a bit of a fever, chills and some referred pain from my left side. I may be in the "bigger they are, the harder they fall" club.  I weighed in at 433 just before surgery and like most men store the bulk of fat in my belly.  Given that this means that things tend to slosh around more there when I move and there's a lot squeezing the wounded tender bits in there, I don't think it's surprising that I'm having the amount of pain that I am. It is manageable and I can get around the house better day by day.  Have taken a couple of walks around the block and had to go on an unwanted outing today to get more pain meds (they don't send you home with much, or a refill), which I can go into, but that all went OK. I've got lots more to tell. -Jeff
Signe D.
on 6/28/07 9:46 am - Seattle, WA
Wow.  So great to read you got your surgery at Group Health.  I have Group Health insurance through work but it has a written exclusion to WLS for any reason.  How did you manage to get approval?  I am very interested in hearing more of what you have gone through.  And congratulations.
Jeffrey Welch
on 6/28/07 11:07 am - Seattle, WA
Signe, You're not going to like my answer, though there are things to be learned from it. My insurance had the same exclusion up until a year and a half ago.  At that time, I approached my employer and asked them to review the possibility of adding an insurance rider to allow us to be covered for bariatric surgery.  If not, I told them that I'd probably be looking for work elsewhere - not because I wanted to leave the agency, but because I wanted to live to see my daughter graduate high school. They did it.  They added the coverage. I then approached my primary care provider, a great internist at Group Health who counts diabetes among her specialties, and said that I would like her to follow me for the next year as I attempted to get a handle on my weight issues.  I said that I'd like to be considered for the bariatric surgery if after that year I hadn't seen signficant progress after a redoubled personal effort.  At over 400lbs - I was at the usual disadvantages out of the starting gate. My weight fluctuated even as I did manage to get my blood sugars under control.  After the year - I told my internist that I'd like her referral if she were still willing to offer it for bariatric surgery.  She has been very supportive. Approval after her recommendation came quickly - about 6 weeks.  Then pre-operative tests to guage my physical suitability (treadmill, bloodwork, social worker, etc.).  From recommendation time to surgery was about 4 months. I had initiated a similar process three years ago with the Wish Center, intending to liquidate my 401(k) and pay out of pocket.  Then just prior to my first appointment there - my house caught fire.  My small nest egg had to float us through that crisis. So I was grateful when my employer agreed to add the rider coverage - and as it happened, one of my co-workers wound up beating me to the punch, having her surgery two months before mine. -Jeff
ktatt
on 6/28/07 12:25 pm
Jeff I have been approved for the Bariatric program with Group Health here in Seattle.  I just had my first consultation with them and they are sending a packet of information.  Roght now they are saying that they are scheduling surgerys 6 to eight months out.  Is that about the amount of time you had to wait? They told me about a weight management program that is mandatory that you enroll in.  Can you tell me more about this?   Was your surgery done laproscopically? How long did the doctor say you had to be off of work? Thanks Ken
Jeffrey Welch
on 6/29/07 10:53 pm, edited 7/1/07 12:47 pm - Seattle, WA
Ken, I was told the same thing about 6 to 8 months out.  My approval came at a time when one of the two surgeons had just returned from a sabbatical, so there was a brief surge in scheduling, making the wait more like 3 months from approval time to surgery date, but I understand that this was unusual. The "weight management program" is called "Accomplish" - and frankly is a complete waste of time and $1450.00 of money.  By my calculation, I'm paying over $150.00 for each 10 minute phone call to hear things that I already know, and get advice that I don't need.  It is however a requirement for all non-Medicaid patients in the GHC bariatric program. Yes, my surgery was done laparascopically, as are about 85% of those that either surgeon there does.  Mind you, I was 435lbs at the time of surgery, and I did manage to drop about 20 pounds in the two months prior.  They do like you to lose weight prior to the surgery to reduce your liver size and free up some space in your gut to help maneuver the laparascopic instruments. They recommend up to a month off of work.  I have taken three weeks off.  Going into week 2, I can see that I'll be back to feeling fairly normal in another week or so.  The first few days back home were the toughest, but each morning I've awoken feeling less tender.   At this point, I'm darn near feeling better than I did *before* the surgery. -Jeff

Most Active