RE: Staple Line Disruption

Sandyhammer
on 6/23/07 3:45 pm - WA
I posted yesterday asking questions about a staple line disruption.  My e-mail lost the answers.   I asked if anyone has ever had a SLD as I am five months post op and have one.  The surgeon is recommending a complete redo with possible removal of the remainder of my stomach.  I am wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem and if so, what is your outcome?   Thanks. 
Geminidream
on 6/24/07 11:10 am - Spokane, WA
Sandy, sorry to hear you are having trouble.  No, I haven't had any staple line disruption.  My first surgeon in '99 said that there was no way "his" staples could come out...they were three rows of them.  However...a surgery contemporary had hers disrupt and she needed a revision to RNY around a year ago.  She had rather a difficult time after her revision and ended up with a feeding tube for awhile.  I only saw her once post-post-op in the grocery store and didn't get a chance to hear the whole story so I don't know much more than that.  The last time I saw her was also in the grocery store and she was having help with her shopping because she'd just had plastics and couldn't lift her arms.  She looked like she felt really well overall and seemed very happy.  I hope that you will be feeling better soon, keep us posted ok?  Hugs! Molly

Highest weight 268, Pre-consultation weight: 255, surgery day weight 230
vitalady
on 6/24/07 11:58 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Yes, I had sld at 5 yrs out. My doc was DrFox. I CHOSE to remove the remnant because i had a 30 yrs history of ulcers.

Original surgery was 1994, revision was 2000. I'm fine, but I supplement heavily, always have.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Sandyhammer
on 6/24/07 2:34 pm - WA
I am really glad to hear from you.  I have been on Metagenics, but went on those about the time I had the staple line disruption.  So while I don't blame them for it, I know that I had more problems that coincided with that program and food. (protein supplement)  I am going for my second opinion now.Thanks for answering.  I also have a history of bleeding ulcers.  What I am concerned about is , if I have the rest of my stomach removed, what if I have a leak again?  Where then does that leave me?  Sandy
vitalady
on 6/25/07 6:24 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Who are you seeing for 2nd opinion? i HIGHLY recommend Dr, Oh (253-275-6030) or www.ohtobethin.com as he will cover your nutritional and labs needs. I didn't think there was anyone left in WA still doing the old non-transected ones, any more. I knew Dr W was the last, but thought he had stopped last year.

OK, a LEAK happens within 3-5 days, is life threatening and must be fixed ASAP. Dr Fox/Oh are the national experts, having presented a 5 yr study on them back in 2000 at ASBS. For revision, chance is 3% nationally, lower with Oh (Dr Fox is retired from OR now, but still sees pts). Let me clarify. ROSS Fox is no longer in surgery, but EARL is.

Once you have passed that window, your pouch is now raw edge to raw edge, so to speak, so it heals/seals, much like all those paper cuts on your fingers over the years.

The original stapling was like stapling the mucousy part of your lips together, never truly merged as one.

The only DANGER that I can see is that when you are 90 and need a feeding tube, you would have to have a j-tube (jejunum), not a g-tube (g= gasto= stomach). see?

The good part is that we can never ever get an ulcer in that remnant that is sealed off that cannot be treated. Of course, that is very, very rare, but that is one we do not have to think about.

we need to stay more on top of our B12 than the others, but everyone should shoot for levels over 800. My dh, for example maintains 1500 on a weekly shot, whereas I hold only about 800.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Most Active