I am having a Distal done in August, has anyone else had one??

dgilmer
on 6/16/07 2:57 am - DAVENPORT, WA
I am having a Distal by-pass done in August with Dr. Oh.  I guess what I need is to hear from people who have had one and how are you doing???  I have done all of my pre-op tests, including the psych test (which that was a joke), all that is left is to see the Internist Monday, and St.Francis weight mgmt class also Monday.  Any suggestions, words of advice, or encouragement would be definately appreciated.  diane
Geminidream
on 6/18/07 10:55 am - Spokane, WA

Hi Diane, My distal was done by Dr. Rawlins here in Spokane and I have been VERY happy with it.  I'd already had seven years of living with a wls-altered pouch and was ready for this good change so adjusting to it hasn't been much trouble for me.  Best of luck to you getting the rest of your appointments over with before surgery.  Get as much rest and exercise as you can now so you can start working your way toward better health come surgery day and from there it is just up, up, up on your journey!  (Well, it will be down, down, down with your weight.  ;)  ) Molly

Highest weight 268, Pre-consultation weight: 255, surgery day weight 230
SusanL
on 6/19/07 5:17 am - Somewhere out there, WA
Diana, I didn't have a distal but I did have a proximal with Dr Oh in October of 06 and six months later I was at goal.  I had a little help because my gall bladder went bad and I had to have another surgery in which I decided to have a Tummy Tuck done at the same time.  I haven't been so happy and am now wearing a size 4-6 in pants and a size small in shirts and I'm almost 9 months out.  It was on of the best things I could have done for myself.  Just remember to take your vitamins and protein and you should do find. I wish you the best of luck.

As of August 3, 2007 10 Mo Post Op
PunkPrincess
on 6/19/07 12:11 pm
HI Diane! I had a distal RNY with Dr. Oh in November 2006.  I am 7 months out and down 120lbs.  Only about 40-50 to go!  Im very happy with my weightloss, and was thrilled with Dr. Oh, Dr. Hirai and the girls in the office.  They are all very helpful.  Dr. Oh is very "matter of fact" with little bedside manner, but he knows his stuff and thats ok!  Just dont expect him to be warm and fuzzy.  The girls MORE than make up for that.  They are wonderful. I had some complications after surgery.  My pouch didnt heal and spent about 4 months utterly nauseated every day.  I ended up back in St. Francis for about a week while I got re-hydrated and nourished.  But that had nothing to do with anything Dr. Oh did, or that it was a Distal.  It was just one of the risks.   With Distal you'll have to be extra diligent about taking your protein and vits every day.  What made me decide on distal is it was the choice that enabled the most weightloss, with most permanent results.  Im happy with my decision! Staci
vitalady
on 6/24/07 12:02 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
My distal was 1994 with Dr Fox & Dr Oh. Lost 150# and they have not found me yet. Also had my TT and revision (you won't need revision-- i was done in the dark ages) with them!

support groups in Puyallup, next up are July 10-11

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Most Active