Need some positive thoughts

Kimberly M.
on 6/7/07 8:26 am - WA
Hello there, my name is Kim and I am new here. I am 24, weigh almost 275 and have a BMI of 47. I have been considering lap band for over a year now. We have finally come up with the funds for me to do it since my insurance is not going to budge and help pay for it. I have my nurse appointment tomorrow morning at 9am then I meet with the surgeon, Dr. Montgomery, right after that.  Everything is moving so quickly (I called Wednesday and my appointment is for Friday). My problem is I had no worries about the procedure. Now I found some sites that are saying that it's not a good idea, that there are all kinds of problems in the long run with it. Plus I don't know anyone who has had it so I feel like I am alone in this. I know this is probably normal to be haveing reservations. I was just wondering if anyone had any helpful advice! Thank you so much!  ~Kim
nanadebbie
on 6/7/07 9:03 am
Hi Kim, It's good that you are wanting information.  I researched this for 10 years and had it done April 17th.  It has been a very intense journey and I have been in therapy which I thank God for.  I was really naive about how this was going to be the best thing I ever did.  I have had to come face to face with all my food issues and there's no turning back once you have the surgery.  I knew I used food for everything but I thought if I didn't feel hungry anymore it would be so easy.  I have to work so hard at this because even tho I can only eat a limited amout my mind still works the same way and still wants to use food for comfort.  It sort of feels like being torn in two. I wouldn't say I regret it but I am far from being comfortable with it and I am working really hard with my therapist to get through this and get healthy, both physically and mentally.  I encourage you to keep asking questions and talking to people.  You will undoubtably hear from other folks who are thrilled they've had this done but try to look deep and decide if you feel ready to take this on.  Don't go it alone would be my advice. Feel free to write and ask me any questions you might have. Good luck, Debbie
Kimberly M.
on 6/7/07 3:08 pm - WA
Thank you so much for your honesty! I needed it! I am an emotional eater and I am very concerned about that. I was considering seeing a therapist but wasn't sure if I needed too. I think after what you have told me I really need to find someone before I go through with the procedure, not just for the evaluation. Thank you!!!
lorisb
on 6/10/07 6:40 am - Vancouver, WA
Kimberly, If you even think you have an emotional eating connection (not even an issue, but merely a connection) then, yes, you probably should at least find someone you can trust who will be able to counsel you.  Your surgeon's office should certainly be able to recommend someone. Also, do come visit the lap band forum here. http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/lapband/a,messageboard/boa rd_id,5359/ There are several places that bash the lap band and you need to be careful of where you get your resources.  I have been banded for 20 months and am thrilled.  My results are much slower than others but I'm very happy with them (so I won't even bother to discuss them, lol) and that's what matters most. Good luck! Lori
Shell Marr
on 6/8/07 11:23 am
Lap Band on 06/21/07 with
Hi Kimberly..... I just replied to your private message to me... :) Hey, how did your appointments go? My sister &  I will both be at the support group meeting on Monday the 11th at 7pm at NWWLS.... please join us??????  This will be our first also, I really wanted to go to at least one before the surgery...which is on the 21st....WWWooohhooo...so that I can talk to a few more people who have already been banded and pick their brains..... the 11th will also be day one of my pre-op diet...
high351/pre307.5/day of surgery 294.4/dr goal 187/my goal 175  

corinnaq
on 6/8/07 12:56 pm - Woodinville, WA
Kim, I didn't have lap band, I did gastric bypass, but I can honestly say this was the best thing I have EVER done for myself.  I too am an emotional eater and yes there are times that I have to tell myself, "no really I'm not hungry"  I also find I continue picking at my food even though I'm full, which is just an automatic response to food in front of me.  But in the end it's painful if I eat too much and that stops me.  But the biggest thing for me is that I never feel deprived, because I feel full after I eat I don't feel like I'm having to keep myself from eating what I want.  This was always my problem with diets...I was always still hungry.  Even today, I walked into a bakery to get coffee and they have these AMAZING looking desserts (I have the biggest sweet tooth in the world) but my response was, I'm so glad I don't eat these things anymore...not "I wish I could have that"  That is actually one of the main reasons I went with bypass surgery instead of the band...because you can still eat sugary/fatty stuff with the band but with bypass it makes you rather ill. Anyway, I'm not saying it's easy and there are definitely days that I wish I could just sit down and shovel food in my mouth with out thinking about chewing thoroughly, eating slowly and small bites and such...but 99% of the time I LOVE my new life and new outlook on food.  It just isn't as important anymore. Hope that helps a little and feel free to ask any other questions!! Corinna Q
Non
on 6/9/07 10:19 am - Seattle, WA
Hi Kim I've struggled with weight issues all of my adult life.  I had banding a month ago and am still struggling with food issues.  It is not magic, it is ONLY a tool.  If you can wrap your self around your issues and be honest with your self and why you over eat or eat the "wrong" things, you will be so much further on the path to "recovery." With or without surgery.   I spent eight months playing around with the need to lose 10% of my weight in order to meet one of the insurance company qualifications.  I eventually lost it plus (50 pounds pre-op) BUT have already hit a snag and am on a plateau.  I'm not discouraged, I've returned to group counseling that I was involved with at Northwest Clinical Nutrition Center (Optifast program at Northwest Hospital) and will continue with the group as long as I feel the need.  I think anyone can attend without doing the Optifast plan since this is weight loss related ($35.00/session)  I'd also encourage you to attend any WLS groups that may be available to you and ask questions.  My surgeon's team encourages participation from everyone even if you didn't use him for surgery (or will be having someone else as in your case) You'll know if you're ready and yes, almost everyone has reservations about it.  Behavior modification is the key, finding something else to do besides eat, and it's easier said than done.  Also, I think it'd be much easier to be 24 and getting a handle on my weight than 54 (almost me) with multiple co-morbidities!!! Good luck with your decision! Nona
Kimberly M.
on 6/11/07 3:41 am - WA

Just wanted to say thank you SOOO much for all your advice!  ~Kim

Shell Marr
on 6/12/07 6:06 am
Lap Band on 06/21/07 with
Kim is was so nice to meet you and your sister last night at the NWWLS support group...
high351/pre307.5/day of surgery 294.4/dr goal 187/my goal 175  

Nic_Nic
on 6/25/07 7:21 pm - puyallup, WA
do u know if u have to have had your lap band thru NWWLS to go to their meetings? do u know of any other local meetings? i would love to attend.... oh and congrats on you being banded!!
Most Active