Looking for information

Beepshouse
on 6/5/07 5:31 am - Lynden, WA
Hi, I am new to this.  I am considering WLS of some sort.   How do you know if your insurance will cover anything?   I saw a picture of myself taken of myself last weekend and wanted to cry at how horrible I look.   Where do I start?
nanadebbie
on 6/6/07 10:13 am
Hi, The easiest thing to do is just call your insurance and ask them if they cover any type of weight loss surgery.  I have found a lot of insurances only cover the RNY as opposed to the lapband.  I don't know which one you have in mind but you really need to research both of them to see if you think they'll work for you.  I had the lapband which means you lose weight slower but there are less problems with eating and absorbing the nurtrients from food.  It can also be removed if for some reason you have a problem.   Anyway, I wish you luck.  There is also a page which lists different insurances that have paid for wls too here.  Check it out. Debbie
corinnaq
on 6/8/07 1:02 pm - Woodinville, WA
Hi and welcome!! I agree with the other poster that said to contact your insurance company first.  Find out what they cover if anything and what requirements you have to meet to have them cover surgery. Then you need to figure out what kind of surgery you want to do.  My first advice would be to sign up and go to several seminars.  Almost every surgeon that does WLS gives free seminars on a weekly or bi weekly basis.  I'm not sure where you live but I definitely recommend my surgeon Dr Joseph Chebli at Northwest Hospital in Seattle.  But I would go to more than one surgeon's seminar and find the surgeon that seems to fit you the best.  They will give you all kinds of information about the different surgical options as well as the pros and cons of each.   Also the internet is a font of information on this surgery and this is a great place to start!!!  You can search for surgeon's in Washington state on this site and they give you a lot of information about the Dr's in your area.  Most surgeon's also have personal web sites that have LOTS of information as well.  Check them all out.  Make sure this is really what you want to do.  It's not just a quick fix...it's a life change....and while I haven't regretted it for a second it isn't for everyone. Feel free to ask any other questions you might have. Corinna Q
lorisb
on 6/10/07 6:46 am - Vancouver, WA
Welcome to the site!  I had lap band in 2005 that WAS covered by insurance (if insurance only covers one type of surgery it can usually be challenged so don't give up hope if you are told they only do one type). We're all here to help.  Just ask away! Your insurance company really is the first place to start, though. Lori
Most Active