Anyone with Group Health insurance???

SparklingSue
on 6/4/07 1:07 pm - Spokane, WA
I am a Group Health employee and patient and have been denied twice, surgery is scheduled for June 11th!!!  Does anyone have any suggestions?? I am at my wit's end, the criteria on my plan is if your BMI is 40-49(which mine falls into) you must have one or more of the following co-morbidities: diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea or venous insufficency with stasis ulcer(non-healing). I had the ulcer and incompetant veins and had my veins stripped on both legs, but they are denying me because they healed AFTER surgery??!! I also have a family history of obesity and diabetes, heart disease, and high blood pressure, it is a path I am headed down unless I can get the weight off. I am so frustrated and would appreciate any help and suggestions you can offer.  Sue
Glitter Text Generator 
Believe everything happens for a reason. If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands! If it changes your life, let it. Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it!
clegate
on 6/5/07 1:55 am - Shelton, WA

Hi Sue,

I have Group Health.  I was initially denied too.  I think part of the battle is your PCP.  Did you get a referral?  Once I was denied, I went back to my PCP with documentation stating all the adverse things that were happening to me because of my weight.  Then I wrote a letter to the board with the same kind of information about my deteriorating health.  I was approved.  Basically I covered all their possible denials before they had an opportunity to say no twice.  I had very few co-morbidities but was on the edge of them.  My PCP actually fudged a little with some knee arthritis.  I really think being prepared ahead of time is what worked for me.  I might even have a copy of those letters saved on my home computer if you'd like for me to look.  The most important thing is to not give up.      I had surgery on 8-8-06 and have lost 110 lbs.  I have between 15 and 20 left to go.  I feel wonderful.  Are you scheduled with a GH doc in Spokane?  Both of the GH docs in this area are wonderful.  Good luck with your quest.  Let me know if I can help.

Carol

SparklingSue
on 6/5/07 2:38 am - Spokane, WA
Hi Carol,  My PCP did do the referral initially, he is in agreement with me on having the surgery. It is Group Helath that is saying I don't meet criteria.  I also have knee pain, but the only way to use that is with documented x-rays of arthritis. The worst part is I also am a employee at Group Health!  I don't plan on backing down anytime soon. My surgeon is meeting with the medical director today, so hopefully he can get somewhere!  I would love to see the letters you sent to them, if you still have them. I am willing to have all the help I can get on this!  Thanks for responding and congratulations on you sucess! 
Glitter Text Generator 
Believe everything happens for a reason. If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands! If it changes your life, let it. Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it!
fish4862
on 6/6/07 7:19 am - auburn, WA
I had Group Health for 29 years and was denied and denied for WLS. I finally got tired of them and switched to Regence Blue Cross / Blue Shield in 01/2007 and had my surgery on 05/24/07. I'm sorry I don't have any advise as to how to actually get an approval. I say switch insurance plans if possible. I am so happy with BC/BS, I will never go back to Group Health.
SparklingSue
on 6/7/07 2:43 am - Spokane, WA
I am an employee at Group Health, this is my only option. They are a great place to work! I am just frustrated with the approval process.
Glitter Text Generator 
cfidecaro
on 6/7/07 4:05 am - Snohomish, WA
Hi Sue~ I have GH.. and struggleed with my PCP for ever with WLS..as he felt it was not nessecasry...I changed PCP's and with a bit of pushing, she was willing to submit the referal. I had several tests done and it was found that I have a VERY MILD case of sleep apnea, plus a BMI over 45 and I am happy to say that I have been approved and scheduled for WLS on 8/1. My advise would be try changing doctors, and see if that might not help. Good Luck Collette
SparklingSue
on 6/7/07 5:48 am - Spokane, WA
Hi Collette,  My PCP is in agreement on the surgery., the problem was I didin't have any of the co-morbidities, my BMI is 46.2. I did however, have a sleep study done last night and I have moderate sleep apnea, so I am hoping that is my ticket.  Thanks for all of you help and info! Good luck to you on your surgery!  Sue
Glitter Text Generator 
auntlorlee
on 7/12/07 3:34 am - Bellingham, WA
With the sleep apnea diagnosis, you should be approved.  I was denied the first time with my sleep apnea diagnosis but only because the paperwork got sent in without my Dr.'s referral included.  Once I had all my paperwork including a heartfelt letter from me, it took about 30 days to get approved.  Good luck to you!!!

~*Lori¨♥*~

281/151/135

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think". - Christopher Robin to Pooh

PlicketyCat
on 6/7/07 9:24 am - Kenmore, WA
Sue, Don't get discouraged! I have Premera BC and am going through a slightly different hell. My mom went through it with the VA dependent insurance two years ago. I'm sure that GH will eventually approve you, but you may have to write a heart-wrenching appeal letter (like my mom did after she was rejected the third time). I'm surprised that GH requires 40+ BMI *and* co-morbidities. National Institute of Health says 40+ *or* 35+ with co-morbidities.  Also, you may have co-morbidities that qualify but aren't specifically stated in your policy (and they certainly won't *offer* them to you). By NIH guidelines qualifying co-morbidities (in addition to what you listed) are: GERD, Arthritis/DJD, High Cholesterol/High Triglycerides (hyperlipidemia), Insulin Resistance (pre diabetes), High/Low or imbalanced cycles of blood glucose levels (pre-diabetes), nerve compression/neuropathy. Some other things that help are Carpal Tunnel or other repetitive stress injuries that can be linked to or are/will be worse because of your weight. Migraines and chronic headaches, especially if related to back tension because of your weight, can also help. Best of luck! Jennine
mochajavalatte25
on 6/13/07 7:56 am - WA
Hi there! I'm a Group Health employee as well. I work in Customer Service. When you were denied, did you appeal? (it would have involved sending in a letter, etc) Danielle
Most Active