wanted- spokanites

girlwcurl
on 5/29/07 3:55 pm - spokane, WA
hi- my name is rebeckah and i am due to have surgery june 25- i feel as if i am late getting on here although i have been lurking for about a year- it just occured to me that i need to get more involved in the wls community if i am going to be sucessful- i would love to meet others from the spokane area- preferably those with a seriously positive outlook on life- my first support group meeting at dr. rawlins office seemed so conflicted and disconnected- it never occured to me that people would be angry about having this surgery- i guess everyone is in a different place- i just really need some positive people in my support group right now for i am somewhat terrified-
Maria R.
on 5/30/07 10:31 pm - Walla Walla, WA
Yeah........so close to the start of the new you. I am so excited for you. I live in the valley....but let me know what I can do for you.....my personal email is [email protected]. Feel free to contact me at anytime.  Maria
Pam A.
on 5/31/07 6:00 am - Northeast, WA
Rebeckah, I live in Republic, which is 120 miles NW of Spokane, so I won't be much of a help in person, but I would be happy to answer any questions you may have. Since I live so far from Spokane, I've never been able to attend any support group meetings. I've used this site as a substitute for the meetings and it has been a huge help to me. My surgeon is excellent, but his office didn't provide any type of post-op help so I've had to find my own way.  Have you read any books on WLS? WLS for Dummies was very helpful to me. Good luck in finding a community to support you. If I can be of help, my e-mail is [email protected]. Pam
Hisdove
on 5/31/07 11:04 am
Republic?  Wow I used to live there... I live in Kettle Falls now. (80 miles north of Spokane)  :)  It's nice to meet another north eastern washington person.  :) And yes.. this site is excellent for support!  I'm pretty new out.. you can call me or email me anytime! -Shakeira

HW/SW/CW/GW
335 /312/250/180

Pam A.
on 6/2/07 1:54 am - Northeast, WA
Hi Shakeira. It is a small world, isn't it? I described where Republic was in my post because I didn't think anyone else would have heard of it. Nice to meet you, neighbor. Pam
Geminidream
on 5/31/07 11:52 am - Spokane, WA
Hi Rebeckah!  I'm in north Spokane and try to get to all the support group meetings but did miss the first exercise one due to a migraine.   The meeting you spoke of where people were angry, was that at the Rockwood Clinic a few months ago before the meetings were moved to Dr. Rawlins' office?  That is the only one where I can remember anybody  being angry about the surgery.  But then, we all have different interpretations of what goes on in a meeting such as that and maybe it was just something I missed.  (Thursdays are some of the roughest days of the week for me and by the time the meeting starts I'm already very tired...that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! ) Being terrified is completely normal and probably very healthy.  You can count on me for some positive support, my outlook about this is that it is the best thing I've ever done and I'm determined to keep working at it day by day for the rest of my life.  I'll never be cured of being a food addict and all of you here and the monthly support group meetings are my lifeline to success. Happy to have you here, post a lot! Molly

Highest weight 268, Pre-consultation weight: 255, surgery day weight 230
giver44
on 6/2/07 2:56 pm - Post Falls, ID
  Hi Rebbeckah!! My surgery is June 26. Were you at the most recent support group?  I was. I was very impressed with the WHOLE THING. It amazed me.. to see the people in person and here about thier experiences. I can't wait for the next one and any after that.  I hope I see you there and keep in touch.   Itis a little scarey. I amterrifiedbut so excited I tell everybody I know. And some I don't. Everyone is so supportive of me and my choice.
girlwcurl
on 6/5/07 1:44 pm, edited 6/5/07 1:45 pm - spokane, WA
hey thanks everyone for your responses- 20 days to go-woot
Suzanne_G
on 6/9/07 6:40 am - Spokane Valley, WA

Hi Ladies,  Im Suzanne and live in Spokane Valley.  I had my surgery a month ago yesterday and have been discouraged.  I'm not losing weight fast at all.  lost 10lbs the first week, (which most was probably that oral laxative before surgery) and now, not even 1lb a week since. Went back to the first week diet (liquids).. exercized more, etc.. NOTHING!  Anyone know of someone with the same problem?   I had my surgery in CA.. so running back and forth to the doctor really isnt an option for me (HMO thing). Suzanne

Geminidream
on 6/11/07 9:48 am - Spokane, WA
Hi Suzanne, Have you touched base with folks from the May 2007 message board here?  It helps to have other surgery-contemporaries to compare experiences.  I felt my loss was slow but by my two-week appointment I had lost 18 pounds.  Are you able to get any nut. coverage from your HMO?  I really recommend Merri Lou Dobler at Rockwood Clinic.  She has been SO HELPFUL to my weight loss efforts and given me so many ideas for dietary options that I'd never have thought of on my own.  My insurance doesn't pay for her services at all and I feel every penny of her bill has been money well spent towards my good health. Could be that you are just going to be a slow and steady loser or maybe your body is just on a little mini stall and when it gets accustomed to living on less calories it will really kick in and the weight loss will come faster.  It is very hard not to get discouraged but try to look at what you have lost already and know that it won't be coming back with friends...like so many of all our past diets. Hugs!  Hang in there!!! Molly

Highest weight 268, Pre-consultation weight: 255, surgery day weight 230
Most Active