???s about first three day post lap band surgery

CDJ
on 5/15/07 2:51 pm
For those who have gone through this - how did you feel - what to expect - I'm trying to prepare my mind and my family. cj
nanadebbie
on 5/16/07 11:09 am
Hi Carlotta, I am 4 weeks out from my lapband so here goes. For me the 1st three days of surgery were the worst but it's been like that for me with any surgery. You really need someone there to help you get up and down and just to kind of hang on to. I had no appetite for the first week or more but it's really important to get your water down, or crystal light, whatever you like. Popsicles are really nice too. Don't worry too much about the food for the first few days but then you need to drink some protein shakes atleast. I like strawberry but there's a whole bunch of flavors. Someone will have to mix them for you, atleast I wasn't up to it and if it had been left up to me alone I probably wouldn't have eaten just because you don't feel too *****y. Getting up and walking is really good, it helps you get better faster. Remember to do deep breathing and wiggling your feet up and down. Want to take care against blood clots. They'll tell you all of that in the hospital too. In the beginning I wondered what in the heck I had done to myself, but that passes and the pain reduces. Then you start your 6 week special diet. I've noticed that different doctors have different time limits on when you can start eating soft foods and then regular foods so be sure and follow his guidelines. I hope this helps you and if you have any questions just holler. Good luck and congrats, Debbie
CDJ
on 5/16/07 11:33 am
Thank you so much. "That was helpful. I was thinking I would be back to work on the third day. Did you have to lose 5% of your weight before Doc would do surgery? Mine is making me. He says that it shrinks the liver and make surgery/recovery easier since the liver sits right on top of the stomach....a 30 carb 70 protein diet. cj
lorisb
on 5/17/07 9:04 am - Vancouver, WA
Definitely come join us on the lap band forum, too! I didn't start hurting until the third day -- that's when the gas pains actually started up for me. Nothing but time really got rid of them (Gas-X, walking and a heating pad helped). Then the hunger came back and I got weak pretty quickly. Most people are able to return to work in about a week if they have a desk job. I had to lose 10% of my excess weight (but I failed this and my surgeon still did my surgery but there are others whos surgeons DON'T perform the surgery if you don't lose). Your surgeon is following what so many of us have had to do as well. Some have even had to do a skim milk diet for 2 weeks. That's all. Crazy docs, lol. Lori
Most Active