Protein

kimmyanne
on 4/3/07 4:16 am - Vancouver, WA
Hey everybody, Well tomorrow is my pre-op with my surgeon, I am so excited, now I'm curious when he will schedule me. They told me to get stocked up on vitamins and pick out a protein drink, can anyone give me some good ideas on what I should get. And what else should I do to get ready for all of this? If you cant tell I am a little nervous. When I talked with the nurse,when I scheduled my pre-op it sounded like they would get me in fairly soon after my pre-op with him, I just want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row. I was told I have to go on liquids for 3 days before surgery, So I guess I should buy alot of slimfast? Someone please give me some ideas. Thanks everyone, Ill let you know my date. Kim B.
Michaelle H.
on 4/3/07 9:25 am - Puyallup, WA
Hi Kim, Congradulations this is the fun and nerve racking part. I wouldn't do Slimfast because of all the sugar. You kinda want to get used to some of the Protein drinks out there. If you have a Supper Supplements I would go there first or you can always go to www.vitalady.com. She owns a nutrition business based on the biariatric eating and has all kinds of protein shakes. If you live in her area ( Puyallup,WA) she will even do tasting so you can see what kind you like best. I would find one that I like now with low sugar. You will do great. Check out her site its wonderful. Michaelle
lorisb
on 4/3/07 11:29 am - Vancouver, WA
Kim, go to Wild Oats and pick up several protein samples. They have individual packets that you can buy and try. I had lap band and picked up some flavorless protein from somewhere (see, I'm helpful, aren't I) -- it may have actually been Trader Joe's -- that wasn't too bad. When I added it to my clear soups it almost seemed like I had crackers in my broth (tasted good, too). Protein choices are very individual so what I like you may not. Go for the highest protein count you can get with the fewest sugars... Lori
corinnaq
on 4/3/07 6:00 pm - Woodinville, WA
Unfortunately everyone is different in what they like. Especially with protien drinks. So I'd try out several and see which you like the best before you stock up. Some that a lot of people swear by I can't stand and visa versa. But you definitely want to stay away from sugary drinks and watch the fat content as well. Atkins shakes are low in carbs but high in fat so you probably don't want to do them very often. Also the highest amount of protien in the smallest amount of volume is good. It was so hard to get those protien drinks down the first month because I had to drink them SO slowly. For vitamins I started out with all liquid vitamins but really couldn't stand the flavor of them. So now I use Centrum chewables, a powdered B50 complex that I mix with a little juice to take, a chewable calcium that I got at Super Supplements. The only thing that is a normal pill for me is the iron supplement. I had to special order it because my stomach just couldn't handle anything I could buy in a store. Anyway, that I cut in half and do fine swallowing that way. For the liquid diet you probably want to stock up on soups (w/ no chunks) and broth. Also you'll want to have whatever your dr requires for your diet directly after surgery because you probably won't feel like going to store for awhile. Hope that helps a little. Corinna Q
nextmove
on 4/4/07 4:18 pm
Whey Protein Peanut Butter chocolate is the best protein I have ever had!!! My family does not believe it is a protein drink and healthy for you! I also have made icecream with Micecellar milk. The choclate is great with a scoop of the PB choc whey and the vanilla is great with pureeed strawberries. I got my stuff over at bariatriceating website. Good Luck!
SusanL
on 4/5/07 1:59 am - Somewhere out there, WA
Kim, Don't buy in bulk before you have your surgery because you may not like the same type or flavor of protein after surgery. I couldn't stand Chocolate and that is the only kind I can drink now. Buy a small container and then once you are up and about go to a tasting with Vitalady or buy some samples to see what you like after surgery. I wish you the best of luck. Susan
Merrilou Gronholdt
on 4/5/07 9:35 am - WA
Kim we are having a taste testing at our support group meeting Tuesday the 10th in Auburn. Give us a call if you can come. 253-939-8865
rayehawk
on 4/10/07 5:38 pm - Eastside Seattle 'burb, WA
Or better yet - just show up at VitaLady support on Wed night (today!). www.vitalady.com Someone will always help you find a protein or two that you like, or make an appt. for an individual private tasting. Just tasted 2 new ones tonight - Cookies & Cream, Rocky Road. And with the Rocking Roll protein bar (tastes like PayDay!), I'm good to go!
Merrilou Gronholdt
on 4/11/07 2:41 am - WA
You can also drop by and see us to taste any time! Merrilou
Most Active