Sleep study again

kimmyanne
on 3/23/07 10:30 am - Vancouver, WA
I need someone to give me some supportive words, I know this is probably very stupid but I just got real upset, I guess I'm so excited to do this I just don't want anything to get in the way. I got a phone call from the sleep study doctor saying the want me in for another sleep study, which I guess that means I have sleep apnea! I don't know everything yet, they just left me a message saying they wanted me back in as soon as possible. I guess I'm so upset because I was so uncomfortable all night, they had me hooked up to so many things, I'm surprised I even slept. I know I'm just being a cry baby. I know some doctors that will say they wont put you on a cpap because your having surgery but this one wants me on one during surgery if I need it. Has anyone else had to do this, and could you fill me in on how it works. Kim B.
corinnaq
on 3/23/07 3:28 pm - Woodinville, WA
Kim, Isn't that sleep study the most annoying thing ever??? So my surgeon required that I have a cpap if I had sleep apnea which meant doing the study. I did the study, they determined I needed a cpap, had me come back and get fitted with a mask then gave me a "variable" cpap (a rental) which I was suppose to use for two weeks then come back. They would take the information off the machine to get me my permanent one which would be a "fixed" (which I would have to buy) cpap. I was suppose to do a second sleep study using the cpap to see that it worked. I never went back. I just used the "variable" one, told them I was having surgery right away and didn't have time to schedule another study and wait for results. They were fine with that, well probably not fine but they let me do it and all my surgeon cared about is that I have the machine for directly after surgery. I don't use it at all anymore and haven't since about a week after surgery so I saw no point in purchasing an expensive machine that I'd never use. Plus I knew I wasn't going to go do ANOTHER sleep study. I hated it. A word to the wise though...it is a VERY good idea to have the cpap if you have sleep apnea. What my surgeon explained is that if you were to stop breathing due to sleep apnea directly after surgery it could have devastating results including death. Your body just can't handle it after such a major surgery. So even though I hated the machine I did use it!! Don't know if that helps or not. Corinna Q
kimmyanne
on 3/24/07 4:08 am - Vancouver, WA
Hi Corrina, Thankyou so much, I feel alot better. I was pretty upset. But you made alot of sense, it is something I need to do if anything for safety reasons. I am glad you said something about the rental, because I also dont want to have to buy such an exspensive piece of equipment when I hope I wont have to use it for very long after surgery, so I appreciate that information. I will talk to them about it when I go in again. It is a very annoying thing to have to do, I had never been so uncomfortable in all my life, I still have soars on my neck and chin from being all taped up! But I do feel better now, your write, it does have to be done, thankyou again for your words of support. Kim B.
AmyU
on 4/6/07 2:11 pm - WA
Hi Corrina - I've been using a cpap for over 5 years now and I'm really looking forward to not using it once I lose weight. It kind of scares me, though, because I feel I am so dependent on it now. Using it nightly is nothing like the sleep study. It takes a little while to get used to it, but the difference in how I feel with a good night's sleep is amazing. Good luck! AmyU
Most Active