Waiting for pre-op evaluation

nettie123smiles
on 2/25/07 12:04 am
Hi all, I'm Linette and I am just starting the process of WLS. My pre-op evaluation (blood work/testing/etc) date is still to be determined, although I will know more tomorrow. I'm getting my surgery through Legacy Obesity Institute in Portland OR (I live in Vancouver, just across the river). They are supposed to be really good. My sister and her husband had the surgery in Seattle area a couple years ago and worked out well for them although they have each gained a little back. She introduced me to this site. Her name is Michelle Lake. She has posted through here and I know as always, she will be a support to me. Any words of advice from veteren WLS folks?? Thanks and God Bless.
Geminidream
on 2/25/07 2:37 am - Spokane, WA
Hi Linette, welcome onboard. Good luck to you in your wls journey. My only words of advice are to be persistent and patient. It can sometimes take awhile to get to surgery and some surgeons and insurance co's have many hoops for you to jump through. It is all worth it, though. Let us know how it is going for you! Molly
lorisb
on 2/26/07 7:10 am - Vancouver, WA
Hi! I live in Vancouver, too, and also had Legacy do my lap band. Actually I just had a follow up visit with Dr. Jan earlier today. I have had no complaints with Legacy or the office. I wouldn't say it was the best experience I've ever had (I don't qualify surgery as "best", lol) but I've had much worse experiences. I really hoped I could have a private room after surgery. I think that was my biggest complaint but I had a beautiful room with roses blooming right outside the window (yep, I got the window!!!). Now, if my roommate hadn't insisted that the temperature of the room get cranked up to over 97 degrees I might have felt better about the experience! What type of advice do you want? What type of surgery are you planning on having? What has been your past experiences? Lori
nettie123smiles
on 2/26/07 8:56 pm
Thanks for writing back into my message. I just wondered how to make it through all the testing. Did you have a sleep study done? Was there any obstacles that delayed your surgery date? How long did you have to wait to get the surgery?? How are you feeling now? How much help did you need when you returned from the hospital? (I have a three year old little boy who likes to be active...) Do you feel better physically? Thanks, Lori. Linette
lorisb
on 2/27/07 4:29 am - Vancouver, WA
Well, I had had the sleep study done in 2004 (surgery in 2005) because my dentist told me to, lol. Actually, I saw Dr. Newell at Vancouver Ear, Nose and Throat who sent me to the Vancouver Neurologists sleep center. My husband also went but he went to the one at Vancouver Clinic out at the Columbia Tech Center. They're annoying but, oh, well. Now we both have our own cute little machines (but mine is quiter than his!). No obstacles. I had to wait about two months for insurance approval, though. I contacted the office in April. Was told the next informational meeting was in June. I had my pre-op testing, psych eval, physical therapy eval and surgeon visit in July, had pre-op classes in August and had surgery the first week in October. Now, I understand that the office is a bit busier these days so I don't know how much that affects their scheduling or if insurance would be a bigger hold up for you. How am I feeling now? Good. I had lap band so I'm still losing weight. In fact I'm actually an abnormally slow loser (only 40 pounds in 17 months) but I also have outstanding medical conditions that affect my weight loss. If I had to do it over again, I would -- and I would also pick lap band for me, too. How much help did I need? Honestly, not much. I don't have kids to take care of and I spent the night in the hospital but almost didn't really need that (my oxygen levels kept dropping even on CPAP for my sleep apnea when I was awake). I was able to go to the bathroom on my own and I could get my "food" -- drinks -- just fine on my own. My husband did take the week off to stay home with me but he also had plenty of vacation, too. I had my surgery on Friday and my husband could have gone to work on Monday with out a problem. If I had been working I could have gone back to work probably by Wednesday but I was also weak from lack of food and then my emotions kicked in and I became a real bear. Even with lap band you're going to not be able to pick up your son for about three weeks -- he can crawl in your lap but you couldn't bend over and pick him up or carry him around. For that you'll need some type of help or find a way to wean him off of that right now. I definitely feel better. My stamina level is slowing improving and my painful knees are definitely better and not hurting nearly as much. Lori
merleygirl
on 2/27/07 7:57 am
Lori I am glad to hear that you are doing good. Friday I will be 4 weeks with my lap band. I am looking forward to having my band tightened for the first time. I have lost 12 lbs so far.
lorisb
on 2/27/07 9:57 pm - Vancouver, WA
Oh, you're going to be in for a treat! Having a fill is one of the oddest things you'll experience, actually! I can feel the fluid going in to the band and it is really difficult to describe. It kinda tickles, actually! Do you have any restriction now? I've always had a little bit -- it just gets progressively tighter each time. Lori
kimmyanne
on 3/14/07 3:49 pm - Vancouver, WA
Hi Linette, I also go to the obesity institute and also live in Vancouver. I have finished all of my pre-op evaluations, they got me through pretty quick. I also had to do a sleep study and I just did that this past saturday, so my next step is to meet with my surgeon. I am very excited and I'm sure you are too. After I went to the seminar, I called them twice to check in to see if they had reviewed my application for surgery yet, I was very persistant, next thing I new they called me the next day and had me scheduled for all of my appointments. It took 2 days each being all day appointments, then did my sleep study and they also got me in very quick for that also. So they have been very nice in getting me in as quick as possiable. I also just called yesterday to see if the surgeon had recieved all of my information yet, and they said they would be expecting my chart in the next few days. I know it seems like forever, the excitement is just overwhelming me, I am so looking forward to begining a new life. Anyway I'm sure they will get you in soon and I wish you good luck in your journey to a new life. Again it seems like forever but once they set you up with your appointments it goes so fast, they are very good at getting you on your way to a healthier life. Oh have you decided which surgeon you would like? When I went to the seminar, Dr Hong was the speaker and I really liked him, he made me feel very comfortable. I spent some time talking with him and I think he will be who I choose. Anyway I could ramble on forever, goodluck and godbless
Most Active