Soft Food Menu needed at 6 weeks out

Sandyhammer
on 2/15/07 9:21 am - WA
I had RNY 6 weeks ago and am starting soft foods. What is it I should start? See my doctor next week but I am ready now!
SusanL
on 2/16/07 1:57 am - Somewhere out there, WA
Mashed Potatoes with a little gravy & refried beans from Taco Bell..I still ate s/f jello at this stage. I tried baked potatoes but they made me sick...
Sandyhammer
on 2/16/07 3:20 pm - WA
Thanks for the reply. Yours was the only one but it makes sense to me. Gravy sure sounds funny after all the years of not eating it! Does it make it slide down? I tried refried beans but those were too much for me. Thanks for the answer.
Geminidream
on 2/17/07 6:32 am - Spokane, WA
Susan Maria's website has a great puree/soft foods list that I tagged to save. If you poke around there, they also have a good protein lunch list. Lots of interesting things on that website. http://www.beforeandafterchat.com/index.php?showtopic=6056 One of the things that has continued to work well for me from that list was the fat free ricotta and marinara. It really 'holds' me and is pretty tasty too. Haven't tried the cottage cheese pancakes yet but am anxious to see how they are. Because of my strictures, I am just now getting around to soft foods but am doing so slowly...one new food a day to be cautious. It has been heavenly getting to chew things again! Had some scrambled eggs with a little fat-free cheese sprinkled atop and I chewed it so well it went down just fine. Molly
corinnaq
on 2/18/07 4:19 am - Woodinville, WA
Sandy, Hummus is another great soft food, I used to puree some black forest ham to eat with it. It was a staple for me while I was on soft foods. Cottage cheese is a good one and has lots of protien. I'd also make my own version of egg drop soup which was literally just broth heated to boiling then I would drizzle in a beaten egg. It keeps the egg really soft and with the broth was easy to get down. I wasn't able to do eggs any other way for quite some time even when I hit the soft food stage. But everyone is different. Also tuna salad is good one, just make sure it's not too dry. I tried to make sure that what I ate had significant amounts of protien so I stayed away from mashed potatoes and other soft starches. Although the weight control quakers instant oatmeal has a lot of protien and so does cream of wheat and if you make them with milk instead of water you get even more protien. Hope that helps little. Corinna Q
grandroses
on 2/19/07 12:56 am
Hello Sandy, I am still at 30 g of protein a day and am having fun balancing my meals. Low fat cottage cheese is great for protein. I have a written diary of the soft foods I enjoy: GRADUATE'S BABY FOODS - The ones I like, Beef,vegetable & potato soup Chicken noodle soup Chicken stew Potatoes & ham Spaghetti w/mini meatballs Vegetable stew w/feef White Turkey stew The ravioli's are tasteless, and any with rice are not good. I have also found this to be tasty! Dinty Moore beef stew (7.5 oz) in microwave containers - just the right amount Also like - HORMEL spaghetti w/meat sauce (vacuum sealed - ready in 90 seconds) Packaged in little round tubs. HORMEL Turkey & Hearty Vegetables (vacuum sealed - ready in 90 seconds) HORMEL Turkey & Dressing w/gravy (vacuum sealed - ready in 90 seconds) Let me know if this is helpful. I have done a lot of research and have other ideas for you but the above list is to get you started. Good Luck! Barbara McDonald [email protected]
Stacey B.
on 2/21/07 6:16 am - Tacoma, WA
Ricotta and Marinara is what I am looking forward to! Scrambled eggs w/ cheese, Mashed potatoes & Gravy, SF puddings, yougurts.... I wish I was there!
Most Active