New to everything

Denisha V.
on 2/4/07 8:35 am - WA
I have been doing research on gb surgery for a few years now and finally decided to go through with it. I finally have the right insurance and I need as much help as possible. First my pcp is at the va so I have an appt this week and not sure if he will refer me to a surgeon, or do I have to find one on my own. If you have any recommendations, I would appreciate it. Also would like to know if anyone has info on Great West Medical Insurance. What they may ask for etc. I want to keep costs as cheap as possible, so I am going through the va for as much as I can because it is no cost for veterans. Anyway, anything extra that anyone may think helps, please let me know. Thanks
SusanL
on 2/4/07 9:56 am - Somewhere out there, WA
Denisha, Welcome to the board. Here is a link to the Insurance forum. You can read reviews from other members with the same insurance. http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/members/list-insurers.php?State=WA&alphaPos=G I would call you Great West and find out if you have to have a referral to the dr or can you self refer. You can also ask them what their requirements are to get approved for surgery and what procedures they do some companies will. There can be so many different requirements so you want to find this out asap that way if you have to do a documented diet plan with your doctor or nut you are prepared and can start right away. I wish you the best of luck. I live in Tacoma WA but see Dr. Oh in Federal way and if he takes your insurance I would go see him. Susan
Denisha V.
on 2/4/07 11:32 am - WA
Thanks for the great info, I will check out dr. oh.
corinnaq
on 2/4/07 3:14 pm - Woodinville, WA
Denisha, I concur with Susan...call your insurance company directly to find out what they require of you. Even if someone has your insurance company they probably have a different policy and that can change things drastically. Best to get it directly from the source then you won't go off on a tangent that might not have been necessary. And trust me with all the hoops insurance companies like to put people through extra work is just not needed. Of course I'm going to recommend my surgeon. I loved him and his staff and the hospital he uses. His name is Dr Joseph Chebli at Northwest Hospital (in north Seattle). I have no idea what insurance he accepts but I know that he and his staff work very diligently to make sure you have all the requirements met so that your insurance won't deny..and if they do deny they'll help you appeal up to and including personal phone calls from Dr Chebli to the people who count at your insurance. Good luck with everything!! Corinna Q
lorisb
on 2/5/07 4:59 am - Vancouver, WA
Welcome to the boards. I don't know where you are, exactly, in Washington so if you're actually closer to Portland, I would recommend the Legacy Obesity Institute but I have heard excellent things about Dr. Cagle and Dr. Dally who work primarily out of Southwest Washington. Goot luck on your journey and I agree with the others. Start first with your insurance company. If you get told no, don't necessarily believe them. Most of us have been verbally told no only to ultimately get a yes. Lori
Most Active