Just getting started! Any "over 60's" out there???

Lorraine G.
on 1/7/07 4:16 am - Kenmore, WA
Wondering if anyone out there has had the "lap. RNY" that was in their 60's? Are there issues that I am going to particularly need to know about? I am looking for all the information I can get at the moment. I need to know everything. :help:
Aunt Pam
on 1/8/07 1:17 pm - Arlington, WA
Hello there fellow over 50'er! I would like to invite you to the over 50 message boards, where you will find many wonderful peope in the over 60's age bracket. I am 53.. almost 54, but I understand what you mean. Pam
Lorraine G.
on 1/10/07 6:40 am - Kenmore, WA
THANK YOU FOR YOUR ENCOURAGING WORDS. Where do I find the over 60's message board? I have looked but am not finding it. Thanks again llg
Tahoeduck
on 1/8/07 2:40 pm - Kent, WA
Hi Lorraine(fellow 60+ yr old) - Have you looked at the lap duodenal switch? Come on over to the DS support meeting on Sat July 13 4pm at the Tukwila Sizzler and hear Dr. John Rabkin from S.F. talk - he is fabulous - he also does some lap RNY. Anyway, would love to have you join us for this Saturday's meeting - You will find it interesting. Our group organizer is also just 20 days out from LBL so we are all anxious to hear about her plastic procedure and how it's going. There may be one or two fresh DS postops there also. Lynn in Kent pre op DS Dr. Gary Anthone Omaha, NE
Lorraine G.
on 1/10/07 6:45 am - Kenmore, WA
Thanks Lynn for the info. That is a very long way from my end of town. I will admit I rarely venture that far with my auto. But I will look into this proceedure. There are so many that it is kind of hard to which would be the best for my particular case. But I am learning. Thanks again Lorr
Eleanor Y.
on 1/10/07 9:10 am - Tacoma, WA
Hi Lorraine, I replied on your profile area but not sure how often you check that. I turned 60 last Sep and on Dec 27th had the RNY gastric bypass proximal. Decided on that one because it is the least radical ones of the gastric bypass and figure at my age it would be the best. I chose the RNY siimply because my insurance would cover that procedure. Did not choose the LAP because I did not want to have the adjustment done - heard it is not pleasant. One less thing to have to do to this old body. I had my RNY done laproscopically - know I have misspelled that. I spent one night in the hospital. I have been doing just great since I have returned. I am still on liquids and tomorrow I see the doc so I am hoping he will add more to my diet. I'm not hungry and I have so much more energy than I did which amazes me since it has only been a couple of weeks since my surgery. I have been doing things around the house that I felt I just did not have the energy to do. I will start doing my exercise tape if he gives me the ok. I want to start walking again when the weather turns nicer and can't wait to be able to get in the garden this Spring. About the only advise I have to make sure you get a good doc who has a good aftercare program. I think that is the most important issue after the initial surgery of course. I have a great doc and felt very secure with him doing my surgery. Jean
Laura H.
on 1/12/07 7:26 am - Seattle, WA
Hi Lorraine, I just want to second Lynn's invitation to our DS meeting tomorrow. I know Tukwila seems far away but it is right off of I-5 across from Southcenter Mall. We meet there because Dr. Rabkin flies up from San Francisco for the meetings so we meet near the airport. I think you would get a lot of information out of Dr. Rabkin's presentation. He goes through the history of WLS and explains all of the current surgeries available, not just the DS. He is a real font of information! I am the one who just had the lower body lift, I will actually only be 10 days post op tomorrow but I plan to be there and would love to meet you. If it is at all possible please consider coming. By the way, you are welcome to bring support people if that would make it easier for you to travel so far. Laura
Sandyhammer
on 1/11/07 12:54 am - WA
I'm a "62" and two weeks post op. I have friends who had the lap and were not pleased. My surgeon says the RNY is the very best. I have several who have had this in the recent years since it has been perfected and say it has worked the best for them. Prayers for you. It takes a lot of courage to address this problem. I had new grandchildren and just want to be able to get on the floor and play and walk with them. Sandy
Most Active