absorption and pain meds

FISH.FAM
on 1/3/07 12:45 pm - BATTLE GROUND, WA
Hi All. I am 9 months post op and am having chronic neck pain. My pain meds don't seem to last 4 hours and they don't seem strong enough. Does anyone know about absorbtion issues with pain meds??? I am not taking extended release so I don't think that's the problem. Thanks!!! Oh, I'm also down 90 lbs :0)
lilchickad
on 1/5/07 11:31 am - Bonney Lake, WA
Tracy, According to my surgeon any pain meds should be given in liquid format to insure absorption. I will say that I did have my family doc prescribe vicodin for an ankle injury in November, and it only seemed to last about two hours, and it was in pill form. I have since requested liquid pain meds any time I have needed them I hope this helps! Laura 213/107 preop/current weight
FISH.FAM
on 1/6/07 3:38 pm - BATTLE GROUND, WA
Thanks!!! I see my pain management doc on Tues and he wants to give me the Duragesic patch but it's really strong so I dont' know. I also have a tape sensitivity so I don't even know if I can use it. Thanks for your input!! Tracy F.
KuuipoCloud
on 1/5/07 11:43 am - Oak Harbor, WA
Hi Tracy, I'm with Laurie on this one. I take Vicodin (in pill form) on a regular basis (fibromyalgia and a bunch of other stuff) and it lasts anywhere from 2-3 hours but I try to stretch it out to 4-5 hours at least just cuz I don't want to get addicted. I find that it works fast but wears off fast, too. Just like alcohol. I'm 20 months post op TODAY!! and that's been my experience. Michelle 5/5/05 370/185 (goal) TT scheduled 2/1/07
FISH.FAM
on 1/6/07 3:41 pm - BATTLE GROUND, WA
Thanks!!! I thought the only reason they gave us liquid in the beginning was because we couldn't swallow pills. I will ask my pain management doc on Tues. I am scheduled for another epidural steroid injectionon that day. Thanks Again!!! Tracy F,
PinkFlamingoes
on 1/9/07 2:37 am - Buckley, WA
I have found that that hard coated pills don't work at all for me . Capsuls work okay if I soften them in my mouth a while . certain pain meds I will actually crush & liquify . It's a defeinite challenge . Kathy
sopralto
on 3/28/07 3:33 pm - WA
The problem is that the blood levels of narcotic pain meds are variable. They peak in 2 hours but they don't level off and stay at "therapeutic" levels. They start decreasing immediately. That's why really adequate pain relief is administered by using long acting meds, like duragesic, long acting morphine, etc. I am a hospice nurse and clearly remember the class about analgesics.
Most Active