Getting ready for surgery on the 19th - have some questions

Amy_Seattle
on 12/30/06 5:42 am
Happy New Year (almost)!! I am getting excited and continually scared for my lap RNY coming up. I'm about to order all my vitamins and have forgotten the name of the vitamin that helps decrease the hair loss. Also, do any of you recommend other vitamins on top of the standards? Also - Has anyone become pregnant after the surgery that could tell me about that journey. I'd like to have more kids and am just wondering if it is/was difficult. Thank you! Amy
Stacey B.
on 12/30/06 8:22 am - Tacoma, WA
You might try Biotin for the hair-some say it helps! I haven't had the surgery yet so I can't answer the pregnancy question although I know they recommend the LapBand for those planing kids since they can just deflate it so the baby gets all the nutrients it needs. Then they can re-fill afterwards and continue the weightloss!
Aunt Pam
on 12/31/06 6:00 pm - Arlington, WA
Amy, I am very excited for you!!! Ordering vitamins is very important. Everyone has so many suggestions, and I found that I have to like the taste and that is the most important for me. So i suggest you request samples at litte or no charge. Most companies are willing to let you try in hopes that you will Love their product and come back for more. I found that taking 2 of the adult Trader Joe Vitimins were good for me.... but my daughter got them for me, as I am not able to get around. I am about out now too, not sure what to do.. ha ha ha. I also found the calcium is very much the same.. try - there will be some you will like, and they usualy only have 30 days until you can try another brand if you don't like them. I get my B vit through my doctors in shot form. That is for uniquely me.... as I said seems it is each to their own. Good luck. Oh, don't forget all meds need to be in liquid form or crushed (yuck). thinking of you and Happy New Year! Pam
corinnaq
on 1/1/07 5:35 am - Woodinville, WA
Amy, Good luck to you!! Don't be too surprised if you become a little emotional as your day approaches. I felt like a raving lunatic some days but I"m so thrilled with my decision and know you will be too. My surgeon says two things about pregnancy. You MUST wait a year simply because this is the optimum time to loose all the excess weight and it gives your body time to become more effecient at absorbing the nutrients you and your baby will need. The other thing he said is to BEWARE most women will be EXTREMELY fertile after surgery and often just birth control pills are not enough. All of our hormones are stored in fat and as we loose weight rapidly they get released into our system making us emotional and hyper fertile so be careful!! But I know there are a lot of people who have babies after surgery and do just fine. You'll just want to make sure your OBGYN is very aware of your special needs. Best of luck to you!! Corinna Q
Amy_Seattle
on 1/1/07 10:33 am
Hi Corinna! Thanks so much for your reply. Not only was it helpful but I was excited to see that your surgeon was Dr. Chebli. He's mine too!!!! I have my preop appointment with him this coming Thursday. Any questions you think I should talk to him about now that you've gone through the experience? It was great to hear about how emotional you thought it got before hand. I am definitely experiencing that. I am SO excited to have this surgery, but I can't seem to get past the fact that is IS major surgery and something could happen. I have a 17 month old son that is absolutely everything to me and the thoughts going through my head are devastating. I'm finding it hard to get to a good place with it all as my date approaches on the 19th. Corinna,did you have a lapriscopic or open surgery? And do you attend the support group meetings? Sorry for all the questions, but thanks so much for chatting with me. Happy New Year!!!! Amy
Most Active