It was a mistake ?

DeeRoman
on 12/29/06 6:28 pm - Montesano, WA
I am so sorry to hear that you regret having the surgery. But, it really upsets me to hear people that do regret it as I have been trying for years to have this surgery done but due to having medicaid as my insurance and not being able to afford to go out and buy the insurance that will cover this I am left to wait on a waiting list that who knows how long it will be before I get to do anything. I have quite a few comorbidities and would love to have the surgery done so that I can do things with my children and will keep fighting to have it done but please please don't wish you would not have had it done as you will see soon that it was all worth it in the end. Depression is well known for some that have had this surgery, as my sister, sister in law, niece, and cousin have all had this surgery and have had times when they said the same things, so keep you chin up and remember it was all for the good.
TinaQ.
on 12/31/06 1:33 pm - Puyallup, WA
Sara, I don't think anyone is ready or fully understands the life changing event of WLS until after it is done. I would also recommend, if you haven't done so already, to have your vitamin B levels checks (regular lab work). Often after WLS, this gets all out of wack (low) and this can GREATLY affect ones mood. Hang in there and realize that your relationship with food will change. You're going through the moarning phase now (I expect to have some of the same issues) but this too shall pass. Keep talking about it though with whoever you have to listen and most of all, don't think you're in this alone!! Tina
Aunt Pam
on 12/31/06 6:24 pm - Arlington, WA
Sara, one month post op was a very hard time for me. I spent over a week in the hospital and all but one of those days I was in ICU and not awake to the world, I just stopped breathing. I had wounds that would not heal and a visiting nurse came 3 times a week to change and clean the wounds and check my meds and vitals. Finally after 8 weeks my wounds began to heal over and about that time I began to feel a bit stronger from the surgery. So if you would have asked me one month post op it is was worth it... I am not sure what I would have said. I never thought about mutilating my body through the surgery, as I see that I had done fine mutilating it on my own through the years of being overweight. This I can tell you... now - 5 months after my wls I can say I am glad I had it. Although it has not cured my biggest reason for having the surgery--- my back pain (back injury 1/2002) still continues to over take my body, mind and spirit much too often, and my doctor is not appearing to see any light for the healing at the end of any tunnel for me. But I can push myself around better in my wheelchair and in only 27 pounds more to lose I can get a smaller wheelchair that will make it through doors better! I look at myself in the mirro and I see a woman who is happy (yet sometimes depressed) and ever so blessed (yet exremely humble) and that is something I have felt since my youth. thinking of you, Pam
Marybeth S.
on 1/30/07 12:51 pm - Rochester Hills, MI
Sara, By now you are almost 2 months post op. I hope that you are feeling better about your choice. It's extremely common to go through depression after a major surgical procedure and even moreso when you have a surgery that takes away your ability to eat. I'm over four years post op and to this day still have moments (days) when I regret it too. But those are moments and sometimes days in a much bigger (smaller) picture. Overall it's changed my life for the better and even though there are difficult times, I still think I would have done it again. Marybeth
Most Active