Three days after surgery

Nancy S.
on 12/9/06 8:23 am
What did you all find easiest to eat? I don't think anything sounds even a little good. I don't hurt to badly but I feel icky and uncomfortable all the time. Even the water seems bad. And then there is the gas........Maybe I am just being a whiner. Talking to all of you helped before, so I hope it will now.
Geminidream
on 12/10/06 3:12 am - Spokane, WA
Nancy you are not being a whiner, your body has just been through a major trauma. Stick with the list your nut. gave you. Every day you'll feel miniscule little bits better and then one day it'll be a lot better suddenly. I'm trying to steer away from artificial sweeteners because of my migraine problems and also because they'll hamper dieting efforts later on when the weight loss starts to slow. So instead of commercial flavored waters I'm sipping on water in a 16 oz. bottle with about 1/2 cup of unsweetened juice added. It is just enough for flavor but not enough to make me sick. Don't know about you but I'm so afraid of sugars now! My whey protein is seeming to make me gassy, walking helps a lot. But I'm sticking with the whey, the taste is good and I can tolerate the gas. Something from my nut.'s list that is good to me now is well thinned and blenderized chili. It is canned fat-free vegetarian (Nalley's, I think). Not too spicy but some actual flavor...yeah! And of course the one can thinned is going to last about two months frozen into little cubes. hahaha Also enjoying very thinned Cream of Wheat cereal in the morning. Even the one ounce seems satisfying just knowing it is 'real' food. When I have a little more energy I'm going to try Susan Marie's egg custard recipe from her website. Boy, don't ask me for the address now...my brain is still fuzzy and I haven't had any narcotics for days. (GOD BLESS the Tylenol people for making the new adult liquid...WOOHOO!) Ok, sorry this got long and rambly. i think I need a nap again. Molly Feel better!
Nancy S.
on 12/10/06 3:24 am
Thank you Molly, You are right, I tried the cream of wheat and it actually tasted pretty good and went down well. The whey is where I ran into trouble, gas and all that, it is the only thing that has actually made me throw up. I am avoiding sugar too. I am wondering about tomato soup? The hardest part is I think I see an idea somewhere in my paperwork and then can't find it again. Maybe wishful thinking. This website is the greatest....I know my family tries to understand, but here I know you all know about the feelings and discomforts. Thank you so much, Nancy
Geminidream
on 12/10/06 4:50 am - Spokane, WA
Nancy, you are so welcome. This website is a blessing with so much support when we have questions and fears. Here is the other website, someone here mentioned it a long time ago as well as someone at the local support group and I like it too. There was a great thing I found for a resource, a listing of good puree breakfast foods and good protiens. Too early for that for us yet, but we can dream. http://www.beforeandafterchat.com/index.php?showtopic=9711 I think tomato soup is too high in sugars for us. Do they still make the healthy variety? Seems I tried it a few years ago (the Campbells) and didn't like it. My daughter works at a terriffic Italian restaurant where i fell totally in love with their tomato basil soup and when I am on a more regular diet I am going to try to make a healthy version of it for those soup craving days. If it turns out good I'll send it to you. I have the actual restaurant recipe and it is superbe but not for us anymore. Molly
auntlorlee
on 12/11/06 5:25 am - Bellingham, WA
A word on the tomato soup... I dump really bad from it. And I don't dump from a little bit of sugar here and there. Be careful with it. Lori
Geminidream
on 12/12/06 11:27 am - Spokane, WA
Thank you for the warning Lori! I found something that may cure the tomato soup cravings for me: Safeway Select 'Enlighten' cup-a-soup type In Tomato Basil Pasta flavor. I made it up with the boiling water and let it steep then strained out the pasta (threw it away) and had my portion of the broth. I still haven't dumped but have tried to be careful. One thing that is worrying me is the Tylenol liquid that I've been using...all along I was so certain it was sorbitol. The second ingredient is corn syrup an then saccharine and sorbitol are way at the end of the list. I e-mailed the company to ask for the nutritional info so I can know how many grams of sugar this is. The real worry here is that I've been using this product and it tastes sickly sweet and have never dumped yet. I pray, pray, pray this does not mean I'm not a dumper. Doctor said he could not promise it...there is no way of course. Molly
Aunt Pam
on 12/31/06 6:41 pm - Arlington, WA
Nancy, by now I hope you have found some favorite things to eat! Something I am finding - for me anyway - is that my tastes change. I will be on a kick for one type of food- taste, then wake up the next day and cna't even stand the thought of putting it in my mouth. This is the lastest thing that drives my husband of 33 years crazy. Lets see you are about 3 weeks out now... REMEMBER doctors orders are different for each of us, but I kepted down and sometimes even enjoyed chicken noodle soup, a bit of yogart, and my stand by - mash potatoes and cream of wheat made with double powdered milk. I ate with a baby spoon in a small dish and eat until full - which was not much then. thinking of you, Pam
Nancy S.
on 12/31/06 11:55 pm
Hi Pam, Thanks for the advice. You are right cream of wheat and mashed potatoes, they do the best. Sometimes, a little meat chopped up in the mashed potatoes is okay. Chicken noodle did okay, beef barley, came back up, but sounded good before hand. Christmas sure was hard....but I survived. I never realised how many people had this surgery until I found this site. It has been a real blessing for me. Thanks for you reply, Nancy
Most Active