Washington State/Plastic surgery

bthankful2000
on 12/5/06 8:20 am - APO, Germany
I am a dependent of an Military Nurse. My insurance is Tricare. I am 22 months out of a RNY that I had done Jan 25 2005 in Laudstudl German hospital. I went from 308 now 150. I just went to see my primary Dr. here in Washington states (McChord Air force base) and he said that Tricare will not cover for a body contouring procedure. ie: tummy tuck, arm & legs etc.. If there is anyone that has had this procedure and has Tricare for an insurance. Please write and let me know what I have to do to get this prcedure done. Would appreciate any help.. Thanks..
corinnaq
on 12/5/06 12:23 pm - Woodinville, WA
I have a friend that was on Tricare (and had her surgery down in Tacoma at whichever military hospital is there) when she had WLS and she said that if she had remained w/ Tricare they would have covered her tummy tuck. Of course she isn't with them anymore so she didn't get it done but she talked to a lot of people and was pretty certain that they would have done it. I do think that she would have had to show that it was medically necessary but things like rashes because of chafing and that sort of thing would fall under that category. Anyway I know this doesn't help that much but you might want to talk to someone specifically with Tricare. Often the Dr's have no clue what insurance will and won't cover...having worked for a Dr for several years I know he never knew but he'd often tell patients that something was or wasn't covered when he had no idea. Good luck!! Corinna Q
giddy1022
on 12/8/06 9:58 am - Everett, WA
I am scheduled for sugery on the 18th and I also am a military spouse and I have not spoke to Tri-care but my doc who has been doing the surgery for 25+ years and is Tri Care approved said that they never cover body countouring. But whats the worst they can say no and if so ask for an appeal. Good luck & let us know what you find out!
Most Active