Feelings?

Nancy S.
on 12/2/06 8:56 am
Now that I am so close to my surgery, I have been having some feelings about it. Not so nervous about the actual surgery as after, Will this work? Also feeling like even though my family has been very supportive, are they too supportive. Am I too old? Will I change in more ways than weight? I hope this is normal?
PinkFlamingoes
on 12/2/06 10:59 am - Buckley, WA
Nancy , you are so normal . Try to keep busy & remember your reasons & goals . I went through the same thing . Kathy
Nancy S.
on 12/2/06 11:44 pm
Thank you Kathy, I am trying to be busy, and there is a lot to do. I sure wish I had discovered this site before...it is very helpful. I am sure I am going to use it over the next months. Nice not be be alone. Nancy
Geminidream
on 12/2/06 12:08 pm - Spokane, WA
Nancy, this must be pretty common. Since I've been through VBG surgery I think I know a lot of what to expect and it makes me sad to think that I was not able to be successful with that one and this is my last chance at making a positive health change. It must work, we must both make it work. I didn't let myself change enough last time and know that the changes must be drastic and permanent. Last time I thought the VBG would just let me be a 'normal' person eating like everybody else just smaller portions. That just doesn't work. I have to commit to a whole new eating plan and absolutely get rid of sweets in my life and concentrate on quality protiens. Also, it makes me sad to know that my comfortable old sedentary lifestyle just can't continue. Exercise must, must, must be a priority for me--not just in my job. And I guess I'm sad that I'm not a strong-willed-enough person to just diet instead of having to resort to drastic surgery. Amazing how many negative messages we let society drum into us, isn't it? This surgery is a blessing and a lifesaver for so many of us. How very fortunate we are to live where we can access good medical care like this. Well...that is enough rambling. Are you feeling any of the same things? It is one day and a wake-up for me. So much laundry and housework to get done in the last day. But it is definitely good to keep busy. Molly
Nancy S.
on 12/2/06 11:44 pm
Molly, Thank you for your reply. I am so wanting this to work for me. I know many good things (healthwise) can come from it. But yes the feelings are there. At my age this is most likely my last chance. The exercise will most likely be the hardest...I was active even being heavy until my last child. He just wore me out before and after his birth. Then diabetes, and foot and leg pain. So now of corse I avoid it. I know that must change, but makes me tired just thinking about it. Yes there is much to do before my surgery on Wednesday. It can be overwelming. I will pray that your surgery is sucsessful. Thanks once agaian. Nancy
corinnaq
on 12/3/06 11:18 am - Woodinville, WA
Nancy, I was a MESS for about two weeks before my surgery. I was never second guessing doing the surgery but I went through lots of anxiety, tears for no apparent reason and just over all *****yness. Many people on my surgery month board had the same issues so you are not alone. I also went through a mourning period for food, I would get very upset about the fact that I wouldn't be able to eat my favorite foods anymore and how unfair it was etc etc...I think it was necessary though because it really brought home the fact that my life has to change now. No more excuses or, I'll diet tomorrow promises, it has to be now. Obviously I don't know how old you are but I know a lot of people in their 50's and 60's that have profiles on OH and they have been very successful with surgery and wouldn't trade it for anything. As for the exercising start slow so you don't burn yourself out immediately and as the weight starts coming off it will get easier and easier to exercise, the aches and pains will quit and it won't be such a chore to go to the gym. Anyway, these feelings are totally normal so don't feel like you're alone out there! I don't know if you have but if you check out the December 06 surgery forum it's nice to be with other people who are literally in the exact same position as you having their surgeries this month!! Good luck Corinna Q
Most Active