OT:Child Restraint - Lesser of two evils?

BodyNSoul Mismatch
on 11/21/06 1:50 am - Dallas, TX
My 3 year old is almost out of his convertible car seat. The next step is a booster. The problem is that a booster for over 40 pounds requires the cars 3 pt buckle. I have a 91 Mazda MPV van w/3 doors. There is no door behind the driver and the center seat does not have 3 point buckes. This means the only place I can put him is in the front seat (there are no airbags). What is the lesser of 2 evils, keep him in his seat past the safe 40 pound mark or put him in a booster in the front? Just looking for some opinions or expert advice if there is an expert out there.
auntlorlee
on 11/21/06 4:49 am - Bellingham, WA
If it was me, I would keep him in the back seat. You might be able to find an attachment to use with your existing seat belt. Ask the state patrol office or maybe contact the manufacturer of the booster seat? Better safe than sorry I say. Good luck! Lori
lhasaraptormom
on 11/21/06 6:08 am - Spokane, WA
maybe get ahold of King County Health District they can probably tell you the way to go, but I would think back seat -safer seat...
BodyNSoul Mismatch
on 11/21/06 6:23 am - Dallas, TX
Thanks I have an email into the police department's child restraint technician. I will see what they have to say.
lilchickad
on 11/24/06 10:08 am - Bonney Lake, WA
Hi there, We bought a booster for our 4-year old at Wal-Mart that does not require 3 point restraints. It works with either a seatbelt OR the 3 point restraint. It is one that has the back seat on it, however, you can remove it to make it a true booster. My 4-yo (almost 5) only weighs 33 pounds, so we have left the seat back on it for a while. Hope this helps! Laura P.S. It was not expensive, around 40.00 I believe P.S.S. I would definitely say the back seat is always better, but I am no expert in this area
Most Active