stupid question....#1

Sew-Sew
on 11/19/06 1:38 pm - Port Angeles, WA
Hi.. I'm 8 weeks out of bypass and am STILL dumping all of the time... even on water! My question is... how long does it take for the stomach to empty...... my Dr. decided to do me a "favor" and make my pouch smaller... he usually does a golf ball size... but made mine the size of my hubby's thumb... so... now I'm not getting enough protein... I try sooooooooooooooo hard.. shakes and everything.. I don't even remember what a vegie or a slice of fruit tastes like... I've lost 40 lbs which is a blessing but... how can I eat more and do more if I'm soooo worn out????? I've only lost 5lbs in the past month... that can't be normal....is it????? Thanks for any kind of help!!! Kelly
auntlorlee
on 11/20/06 2:51 am - Bellingham, WA
Here's a question for you: What do you consider "dumping"? If you can't even ge****er to go down, you need to contact your surgeon. You may have a stricture or narrowing of your stoma (the opening at the bottom of your pouch). If you are truly dumping, you will feel nauseaus, shakey, or get the sweats and then get super tired. Some people do get diahhreah but I think that is uncommon. Please keep us posted. I am worried about ya! Lori
BodyNSoul Mismatch
on 11/20/06 10:11 am - Dallas, TX
good question!
BodyNSoul Mismatch
on 11/20/06 2:56 am - Dallas, TX
I don't know the answer for sure but I would guess an hour based on the no drinking before, during, and after rule. You should talk to your nutritionist about the dumping issues and see if she can find the problem. Are you making things with Milk? If so, that would be the first thing I would cut. I understand the whole taste thing. 1 month out and even if I did put something that I remember as being good in my mouth, it does not taste so good anymore. Being worn out has a lot to do with Ketosis in most cases. It can also be dehydration, lack of vitamins, and anemia. Are you drinking at least 48 oz of water and getting in your vits? If so, it is probably ketosis. I think it is possible to not see the scale move. The question is are your clothes feeling different? A lot of times our body changes but the scale does not move. Sometimes it happens when our body kicks into starvation mode. Make sure you are getting in that protein. 2 shakes a day at least. Liquid is the best way for our body to absorb it so that is why the shakes work. Sorry if I am telling you things you already know. Just keep on keep'n on. Take it one day at a time and keep posting here when you need encouragement.
PinkFlamingoes
on 11/21/06 12:53 pm - Buckley, WA
Good point Body Soul about the scale not moving . I only weigh at the Dr's . I went 13 days ago & today & didn't lose pounds . I did however go down a pants size . My tops were fine 13 days ago & now are loose . It's weird . The scale won't move much if you're not getting in enough nutrition . Our body goes into starvation mode . I have a hard time getting in my protein , because i'm not hungry most of the time . I couldn't ever imagine that pre-WLS . Kathy
PinkFlamingoes
on 11/21/06 12:59 pm - Buckley, WA
Kelly , I hope you get checked out by your Dr. What you're going through isn't normal . Like someone else said , you may have a stricture or something . You don't dump on water . Your situation really worries me . Keep us posted . Kathy
Most Active