New to this website.......don't know what to do

soulfulgiggles
on 11/6/06 4:38 am - Avondale, AZ
Hi all, new to this website. I could write a book about the past 8 years of trying to have the surgery. But, long story short, "it's always something" whatever could happen, did. I have been denied so many times. I give up. I really don't understand some Dr.'s. my current Dr. told me loose 40 lb and everything will be ok. I'm 5' and 260 lbs. I'm a blob. I will no longer see him. We have a really good insurance now, as far as I can tell it will cover the surgery, but I'm not sure I want to go through being told again "denied". Suggestions and shoulders needed.
auntlorlee
on 11/6/06 5:17 am - Bellingham, WA
Don't give up Kathy! Especially if you think your insurance will cover surgery! Go to a new doctor if you have to. There are lots of Doctors out there that are willing to help you get surgery, especially if you need it for serious health issues. And yes, being overweight is a serious health issue in itself! Find out what doctors are in your insurance network and find one who is willing to go to bat for you. I hope someone on here can help you with a name of a Doctor in your area. I wish you the best of luck! DON'T GIVE UP HOPE! Lori
Laura H.
on 11/7/06 5:23 am - Seattle, WA
Hi Kathy, I'm so sorry your Doctor and insurance companies have been giving you the run around. Hang in there and keep fighting. Use this waiting time to do as much research as you can. Go to support groups get to know people who have had WLS and don't give up. It is worth the fight. By the way, I will probably be in Longview for Thanksgiving. Let me know if you'd like to meet up. Laura
corinnaq
on 11/7/06 8:52 am - Woodinville, WA
Hi Kathy and welcome to the forums...I can't tell you how helpful everyone has been to me...even just reading others' posts helps on a daily basis. Regarding your insurance I would call them and find out specifically if they do cover the surgery you are most interested in having (some only cover RNY, some only lap band etc). Then find out exactly what kind of documentation they require to approve the surgery. Get as much detail as you can out of them and it will make it that much less likely you will get denied. And if you do get denied again even though they do cover the surgery, which unfortunatley happens a lot, just keep appealing and giving them every piece of documentation you can find that shows why you need this. Eventually it will happen. As for Drs there are plenty out there that are supportive of WLS just see as many as you have to to find one who is and who you are comfortable with. Good luck and hang in there...it will happen...just a little more patience and perserverence Corinna Q
Most Active