Neurontin

Cathy_H
on 11/2/06 11:21 am
I'd like to know if any post-surgery gastric bypass individuals are taking Neurontin. I take 2400 mg/pm, until recently in pill form. I switched to the liquid form in July when I started the process toward surgery. The liquid dosage is 3 tbsp + 1 tsp. That seemslike a lot of nasty tasting liquid to get down at bedtime that almost makes me gag now from the taste. I've talked to a pharmacist who said I could crush the pill and mix it with sugar-free cherry syrup...something I will probably try. The other alternative, which I've tried, is crushing the pills and adding them to something like clear chicken broth. They would dissolve better, but then again, I think I'm looking at a very large quantity of liquid to get down at bedtime. This is not the only medicine I take during the pm...I also take 300 mg Trazodone, 10 mg Ambien, 6 mg Protonix and a very small pill of Sanctura, and lastly Zelnorm. With the post-surgery weight loss, I should be able to drop the Sanctura, the Zelnorm. There is always the hope that I can cut my Ambien in half, too. I should have my 2-week pre-op appointment in the next few weeks and will take all my meds to my surgeon, Dr. Joseph Chebli, to see if he can help me solve this anxiety-creating problem. I don't want to find myself unable to ingest my medication in liquid form simply from the volume. Thanks so very much to anyone who has any advice, experience, comments to share. I appreciate everyone on this site for their generosity of spirit.
LaDena
on 11/2/06 4:50 pm - Spokane Valley, WA
Hello Cathy, I'm still pre-op, but I use Gabapentin the generic form of Neurontin. It comes in a capsule form. Maybe check with your pharmacy and see if you could use the capsules...or use them by opening them and sprinkle the medication in some yogurt, apple sauce or sf pudding? Just a thought. I wish you luck with it. And congrats on the surgery! Dena
Most Active