Date Set - What to bring to hospital?

cwest66
on 11/2/06 9:14 am - Seattle, WA
Hi all - I'm a newbie and I'm having my RNY Open surgery Dec. 1 at Stevens Hospital in Edmonds with Dr. Weber. Can anyone tell me what to expect directly after surgery as far as pain, etc. and what things I need to bring to the hospital with me to make my stay more comfy? I haven't had my pre-surgical appt. yet so I thought I would ask here. Any comments are appreciated! Thanks, Colleen
SusanL
on 11/2/06 11:38 am - Somewhere out there, WA
Colleen, Congrats on your surgery date. I had my procedure lap and didn't use anything in my bag. I was given slipper socks and a robe to use. You will most likely be in the hospital longer but from what I have read on this board most people don't use 3/4 of the stuff they bring. The only two things I used were my lotion (I have very dry skin) and my lip balm. As for pain you are give a pump so you can self adminster you pain meds. Best of luck. Susan
a2jkeith
on 11/2/06 12:53 pm
Hey Colleen, It all depends on whether you have your RNY laproscopic or open. Just bring yourself really as far as what to bring to the hospital. I didn't take anything when I went lol, just me and an angel or two As far as pain, they have good drugs Even for the recovery, they give me some liquid percocet which made everything ok with the world lol! Just beware as those strong meds jack your digestive system up a bit and will give you BM problems but, its totally worth it. If you need an angel to visit you in the hospital lemme know, and I will come visit God Bless, Mike Price
Karen B.
on 11/2/06 12:55 pm - Port Angeles, WA
Colleen, Congrats on your surgery date. Hope all goes well and you have a speedy recovery. I took to the hospital: hair brush rubberband cause my hair was long chapstick favorite blanket discman and cds lotion calling card ( if needed) I wore their gowns, easier for the iv, slippersox I wore home the clothes I came to the hospital in cause they were loose anyway.
auntlorlee
on 11/3/06 12:43 am - Bellingham, WA
I agree with other posters. Don't bring too much. I brought my toothbrush, my hairbrush, and my chapstick and that's pretty much it. I wore flip flops to the hospital that morning and that is what I wore to walk the halls. They should provide you with either a gown or robe to cover up your butt when you walk! But if you want, you could bring your own robe. The only problem is the IV. The gowns snap open on the arms making it easier to get around the lines. Good luck and congrats on your date!!! You will be a loser in no time! Take care, Lori
BodyNSoul Mismatch
on 11/3/06 4:13 am - Dallas, TX
Congrats on your date. I had lap RNY with Gallbladder removal on 10/17. Two things I am so glad someone on the board told me to take: Earplugs on a string and Sleeping Mask for your eyes. I already had both of them at home so I did not go out and buy any but I would have if I needed to. They were life savers. The person I shared a room with was really old and watched TV really loud and the nurses kept turning on the lights. So both of these were constantly used. As was my chapstick. I actually got the Aquifina Hydrating Lip Oil. It is wonderful stuff. Oh and nasal spray. The oxygen really dries out your nose. As far as post op pain, they usually give you a morphine button that you can press as you need the medicine. It is controlled so you can't over dispense it. Your doc will give you the rx for the liquid pain killer to have at home when you get there. That is really important. If they don't give you one, ask for it. I got stuck in rush hour with a huge accident that closed I-5 and they had the bridge up on 509. It took us 3 hours to get from Virginia Mason in Seattle to Des Moines. It is normally 20 -30 minutes. I was in so much pain when I got home. I am so glad I had that liquid pain med already to go. It kicks in after just a few minutes and was much welcome relief! Wishing you the best on your day. Save a seat on the loser's bench for you.
Geminidream
on 11/3/06 8:28 am - Spokane, WA
Colleen, congratulations on your upcoming surgery! You are a few days ahead of me. From my VBG hospital experience this is what I am taking: Toothbrush, toothpaste, some light-colored lipstick so I can pass the 'lipstick test' early, hair band, no-rinse shampoo, my own purse pack of tissues, comb, a razor, deoderant, pen and small pad of paper, deoderant, pads and tampons (you very often start your cycle right after surgery), flushable wet-wipes and my own robe. I'll wear some slip-on walking shoes to the hospital and will walk the halls in them. After my open VBG I had a fever and had to stay in the hospital an extra two days and had to have my husband keep bringing me things from home. This time, I'll be prepared and hope to not need some of the things I packed. Last time I brought music and books and found that my mind was too spacey from the pain meds to concentrate on anything so I won't be bringing those this time. The sleep mask and ear plugs are a great idea so I think I will hunt down some of them. Molly
corinnaq
on 11/4/06 4:53 am - Woodinville, WA
Colleen, Thanks for asking this questions...my surgery is this coming Friday and I hadn't even really thought what I ought to pack. And thanks to everyone who posted answers, especially the ear plugs and eye mask!! My friend who had surgery last year said her mouth got super dry constantly so I'm going to bring my mouth rinse I use to keep from getting dry mouth (it's called Biotene and is sugar and alcohol free, very soothing for irritated/dry mouth you can get it at pretty much any drug store), and the lip balm was the other thing she used constantly. Thanks again...great post!! Corinna Q
kimmee2k
on 11/9/06 10:34 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Colleen, I agree with everyone here. I packed a bag with a gown, toothbrush, comb and brush for my hair and slippers and warm socks, and the hospital gave me more socks. I had my lip balm and lotion. I did have my ipod and watched a few movies when I was actually woke but most of the time I was sleep from the medication. But the main thing is the lip balm your lips will be glad that you brought it. Trust me. Congratulations on your upcoming date. Kim L.
Most Active