desperately need a surgeon in wa state

Lori V.
on 10/16/06 5:16 pm - Spokane, WA
Hello, I have Aetna select, which just this past September decided to cover the DS, especially for revision...just what I need and want. My problem is that I cannot find a surgeon. I know that the best is in San Francisco and I would love to go to him, but he wants 12 thousand upfront, even with insurance, then he will pay you back if there is anything left. It will take me 2 years to save that up. I want to have the surgery before I start my Medical Assistant program this coming summer...so I need to get going. I found a surgeon in Idaho, but only do sit open...been there...done that...not gonna do that again! I am willing to travel outside of WA, but I would like to be near home. Would you let me know of anyone you know in the area...some one *****ally accepts the insurance. I don't mind a little upfront costs...but dang, I would need about 3 to 4 thousand for the flight, hotel and transportation and food to San Francisco and then add to that 12 to 14 thousand...I don't know, but I don't think that there are many of us that just have that kind of disposable cash. Do only the rich get the have DS surgery? I am beginning to feel frustrated, what good does it do to fight with the insurance company to get them to approve of WLS just to have the Dr's charge so much. I am not going to dispute that they are talented and offer us something special, but if we can't afford access to it, it doesn't really matter how great it is...we won't get to experience it anyway. Okay enough grumbling. I just feel frustrated. I am working a job I don't like, just so I can have good insurance. I luck out in that 2 months after I start the job it opens the door for approval of the very surgery I want and need...and now I cannot find a surgeon. Could someone please tell e what to do? I would love to hear your suggestions. Thank you for listening to my whining and complaining...{{{gentle smile}}} Lori
auntlorlee
on 10/17/06 2:01 am - Bellingham, WA
Hey Lori! Great name by the way! Have you checked out the DS board here on OH? I bet you could find someone from WA who could help you. I don't know which surgeons in WA are willing to do a revision. And I don't know where to send you for help other than that board. I sure hope you get some answers. Good luck! Lori
Laura H.
on 10/17/06 2:50 am - Seattle, WA
Hi Lori, I just replied to your other post about this but here I see that Paclap is out because of the $12K. I didn't realize they did that. I self paid so I never knew their policies for insurance patients. I paid for my surgery using a medical credit card called Care Credit that the staff at Paclap helped me get. It had a pretty decent interest rate. Maybe you could do something like that and then pay it off when insurance reimburses you. There are a few other surgeons you might want to try but none are in WA. There is Dr. Keshishian (not sure if I spelled that right) in Delano Ca. and Dr. Antone in Omaha. Do please come over to the DS board! It is a great group and very informative. Laura
PinkFlamingoes
on 10/17/06 5:18 am - Buckley, WA
Dr Oh has done DS , but it's not his forte . He is in Federal Way . Good luck . Kathy
Darcy
on 10/18/06 3:42 am - Washington State
Hi Lori! I live in Moxee which is right outside of Yakima. I had the DS last year and am doing GREAT!!! You will not be sorry...That's one thing I can tell ya! I did a lot of looking around in WA and there aren't many options as far as getting the DS done goes...And, TRUST ME, from ALL of the reading I've done...You don't want to be someone's guinea pig...So...I think theres a dr. in Portland that does the DS...Not sure where tho...I had my DS in Brazil because I was a slef-pay without insurance coverage of any kind. Come over to the DS board and ask your questions there...There are SOOOOOOOO many nice and helpful people over there...GOOD luck and GOD BLESS you on this amazing journey you are embarking on. Here's the link to the DS board: http://obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/action,main/board_id,5357/a,messageboard/cat_id,4957/ (you may have to copy and paste it into your browser...Then it'll work!) Hugs, ~Darcy (23 weeks and 3 days pregnant with Drew; boy #3)
Joel Enbom
on 10/18/06 3:58 am - Granite Falls, WA
Lori, Check out Dr. Adrian Heap in Richland. He is experienced with the DS, although he prefers a variation of the DS that might still work for you. http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/bariatric+surgeon+profile+Adrian+Heap+jb.html He's very competent, experienced, and professional. And for the self-pay patient (not you, I know), his fees are remarkably low I was in your situation a few months ago and was leaning toward Dr. Marchesini in Brazil, but the thought of an 18-hour flight home after surgery was a little daunting. When I discovered Dr. Heap, I was ecstatic. Maybe he'll work for you too. Good luck! ...Joel!
BethinSeattle
on 10/18/06 7:48 pm - Federal Way, WA
Have you checked into Dr Joseph Chebli in Seattle? Pretty sure he's doing DS these days. If have a lapband friend who goes to him and loves his manner and philosphy on things. Beth
corinnaq
on 10/19/06 8:57 am - Woodinville, WA
I don't think that Dr Chebli specializes in DS but it's sure worth a try because I agree he's great. Also you might try Myur S. Srikanth MD at St Francis in Federal Way. For some reason it sticks in my head that he did DS quite a bit. Hope that helps. Corinna Q
Tahoeduck
on 10/19/06 3:01 pm - Kent, WA
Lori - check out Dr. Keshishian in Delano, CA - that is central CA - I am in the same boat as you - really wanted to be with Rabkin but cannot afford the cash up front; Dr. Keshishian requires approx $4000 up front for a revision and I believe he does it lap and open. Check and see if he is an in-network dr on your ins and then your co pay will be less. He is very experienced and his patients rave about how good he is - I have looked all around WA and there is really no one who has done more than just a few DS. Srikanth has done a few and I was told that the hosp asked him not to do any more since there were several major complications with them, so he now mainly does RNY. Dr. Oh has done a few, but tries to talk pts into the RNY. I have not heard too much good about Dr. Heap and that he does a "*******ized" version of DS that is very unorthodox, but I see one of the replies here liked him, so not sure. I do know I want someone who has done hundreds -That's Dr. Keshishian or Dr. Anthone who also is very good but farther away in the mid-West. If my ins does not approve me with Dr. K, then I am heading for Brazil or Spain. Good luck to you, Lynn Seattle area
rayehawk
on 10/25/06 2:00 pm - Eastside Seattle 'burb, WA
DocOh is number 1 surgeon, IMNHO . . . www.OhToBeThin.com, and does accept Aetna (I have it).
Most Active