Just a few Questions?

Billie Jo C.
on 10/3/06 4:29 am - Spokane, WA
I have a few questions so any input or experiences of others would be grateful... 1) What types of basic foods can you have after surgery? (The typical types of things one will be eating?) 2) Did anyone have any doubts about being able to go through with the surgery? (like the feeling of "what happens if I fail") 3)And what types of emotions do you have to contend with after the surgery? (the biggest ones that you struggled with the most after surgery)
Geminidream
on 10/3/06 6:27 am - Spokane, WA
Billie, I can't answer your first question from experience because I'm still waiting for approval for my revision to RNY. I think 2 & 3 are probably the same for other wls types. In '99 I had open VBG and wasn't at all doubtful of being able to go through surgery because I was already in a support group and was so prepared and excited. From my experience, you have to totally get rid of all the 'what happens if I fail' doubts and put your mind to work that you will NOT fail. Last time I thought that if I failed, I'd just be able to go on a regular diet and get back to weight loss. Not so with the VGB...it did teach me not to be a volume eater but it did create a sweets monster in me that was apparently just hidden before. THIS TIME...there will be no failure. Sweets are just off-limits and that's all. Even if I don't end up being a 'dumper', the sweets just can't be allowed back in my life. And the support group is just a part of life now and yet another tool in this fight. Emotions...I went through the 'what have I done to myself' and depression after the vbg but when the healing was done it went away and I was glad for the surgery. I don't regret having the VBG, I figure it slowed my ever-increasing weight down and kept health problems where they were instead of escallating. But I never did get any proper treatment for depression other than trying a bunch of different meds that didn't work. I'm trying again and have finally found something that works and will stick with it so that the depression won't be another battle to have to fight on top of everything else. The psych eval this spring was an eye-opener for me and I intend to be more vigilant about maintaining good mental health because of its effect on my physical health. Sorry to be so long-winded. You had very good questions and they are something that I think everybody thinks about. Molly
kdietsch
on 10/3/06 3:53 pm - Everett, WA
Billie Jo, are you having RNY or Lap band? I think that makes a difference! as far as the doubts go-- oh yeah I had them, I was thinking days before hand-- man why am I spening all this money-- if I would just get out and move my big butt I would lose weight--- but then reality would hit me, and I would realize that I had been exercising a lot for two years, and I hadn't lost, and that the one time in my life I was really at an ideal weight was after my daughter died and I was running 6 miles a day as part of my grief therapy. Once I got injured and couldn't run anymore the weight just came right back.... I wanted a tool that wasn't going to allow that to happen-- espescially since I am hitting menopause, and losing weight is just getting that much harder!! So now 6 months after surgery, I am down over 50 pounds and I have to say I am struggling with eating sugar and chips on a regular basis..so I have guilt there.. My emotions on the other hand are great-- I feel great and I am liking what I see in the mirror. I actually have definition in my upper arms, and I can see my ribs (when I "suck it in") Plus the jiggle on my thighs is a lot smaller than it used to be!! The belly doesn't jiggle as much by belly dancing either! So I would have to say that this far out of surgery I am feeling great emotionally. (although now that I think about it, there was some doubt right afterwards as well....) Take care and good luck! It is so worth it. What a wonderful gift this is to me (and my daughter who has watched me struggle, and now is proud to have me around...-- plus she is looking forward to wearing my clothes!!!) Kelly
Billie Jo C.
on 10/4/06 2:41 am - Spokane, WA
I'm looking into RNY. Knowing that this type of surgery will help me keep the weight off, is a reward all in its own. I know if I keep telling myself that, things will turn out just fine. I think I'm just worried about the emotional part. And I kind of want to get a feel of what everyone else's experiences were. I think knowing and hearing what others went through will make it a tad bit more easier. I must say, just knowing this site is here for support is a blessing. I'm very happy to know that you are doing well and things are going great for you, Kelly. It takes a very strong person to forge forward in life after suffering such a great loss *hugs*. I do appreciate all the input I can get. I know this is not something to be taken lightly...it is a huge change in a persons life. I'm about to make that change if things go in my favor. And thank you Molly for responding. its really good to here what others experienced with their journeys to obtain weight loss surgery. Knowing how much they have benefited from it health wise and emotionally is great. Thanks Ladies (keep the experiences flowing hehehe ) -Billie Jo
Aunt Pam
on 10/4/06 2:11 pm - Arlington, WA
Billie, very good questions! #1... right after surgery my doctor had me eating just a few foods, mostly mushed! Cream of Wheat, Mashed Potatoes, and broth soup were my solids just out of wls. I also drank protien shakes with whey protien. I also had juice, coffee, milk. Now each docotor is different, but you will find what works best for you. #2... I got a bit worried just before the surgery, but found the time went so quickly there at surgery time, that I did not have much time to think about it. I focused on the reason WHY I needed to go through with the surgery and that helped. #3... I did not expect to take so long to heal after surgery and this has been a bit depressing. My depression medication made me sick to my tummy, so I stopped taking it, that has made things a bit more tender than usual for me as well. I am disabled, and find that my weight loss is a bit slower than some - I have found myself responding to the scales finally I am not weighing but every week. thanks for asking Hugs, Pam
iml8l8l8
on 10/6/06 4:18 pm - Renton, WA
Billie Jo, I am going through the "what if's" right now. My surgery is next Thursday. It has been such a long and arduous process, and I cant believe my surgery is so close. I cant tell you how glad that I found this message board. It is helpful for me to see that others are feeling some of the same feelings that I am feeling (but feeling too wishy-washy to ask the questions). Everyone is so helpful and willing to share their experiences. Thanks for asking my questions for me!
Billie Jo C.
on 10/9/06 3:15 am - Spokane, WA
I have to agree, this message board is very helpful and all the people who are eager to help. Thanks everyone for the response... I'm sure I 'll have more questions again. But at least I know someone will be there to offer good advice or comfort. -Billie Jo
Most Active