I am so new to all of this

trilba5004
on 10/2/06 4:40 pm - auburn, WA
Hi, i am scheduled for surgery nov 16th with dr. oh, federal way. I am having roux n y distal. would like to chat with others who have gone this route. I am nervous but excited too. Still pretty unsure about how I deal with cooking for my family and getting all my nutrients in.
auntlorlee
on 10/4/06 2:03 am - Bellingham, WA
Hi Karen! Welcome to the WA board! How exciting for you to be so close! I remember those days well! I am about 13 1/2 months out from surgery and love every minute of it! Don't worry about the food part to begin with. It's just mostly making sure you stick to the diet your surgeon puts you on and getting in your water. Very important! I got severely constipated, 9 days to be exact, from not drinking enough water. That sucked! Has your surgeon discussed a nutritional plan for you? Also, have you sat hubby down and told him that you need his help with the cooking for the family? It's not that hard because you won't want to eat alot of things. But you will mourn food. I know I did. And you won't feel up to standing on your feet for a few weeks. You will get tired easily and need to rest. I really didn't change the way I fed my family. My husband did alot of the cooking when I was recouperating the first few weeks. But overall it was an easy transistion. I am more than happy to answer any questions you may have. If you feel more comfortable, you can email me privately too. Just click on the email link at the bottom of my post. Take care and good luck! Lori
Aunt Pam
on 10/4/06 2:16 pm - Arlington, WA
Karen, welcome to the Washington Board! You are among friends here for sure. Your surgery is coming soon! At first you will be eating so different than your family, but you might find, as I do that I am not hungry at all, so having others eat "normal foods" around me, is no problem. A mixture of nervious and excitment is what I felt too... hugs, Pam
PinkFlamingoes
on 10/5/06 9:20 am - Buckley, WA
Congratulations Karen . I just had Medial RNY with Dr. Oh . The big thing is what everyone has said . As far as mourning food . That varies from person to person . I didn't mourn it per-op & didn't do the last meal thing . Eventually i'll be able to have everything I love (except sugar), just in a very different size . Kathy
iml8l8l8
on 10/6/06 4:04 pm - Renton, WA
Karen, Congrats on your surgery date! October seems to be a busy month for surgery! I have my surgery on the 12th so I dont have any insight to give. I would love to share info after surgery!!!! Best wishes, Michelle
Most Active