Revision of the lapband to the RNY

stephbens
on 10/1/06 4:57 am
after 20 months of losing just 50lbs with the lapband, I have decided to do a revision to RNY. The surgeon that I picked said that the revision can be more complicated but should go okay. He is going to remove the band and then do the rny at the same time. For all you people that have had this done, how are the complications following conversion of the lapband to the RNY> Stepn
kdietsch
on 10/3/06 3:45 pm - Everett, WA
Hi Stephanie, I hadn't heard of anyone doing this before. I am sorry to hear that the band is not working for you. How many fills have you had in the past 20 months? I am curious because I have been told that it usually takes between 3 and 5 fills to get good restriction. I have so restriction after 2 fills, but I know I could use another one. Plus I find myself eating a lot of what I shouldn't so I know that is not helping, but on the other hand I am exercising regularly so that does help. I have noticed seeing the posts here, though that the weight goes off a lot more slowly with the band than with RNY. I hope that there are no complications for you and that everything goes smoothly. Good luck and take care! Kelly
Laura H.
on 10/8/06 2:04 pm - Seattle, WA
Hi Stephanie, I don't know much about revisions to RNY but I know a few people who have been revised from the band to the DS and done extremely well. If you need a revision it wouldn't hurt to look into the DS as well as RNY. One woman I know who had gained back all of her weight when her band failed has now lost over 200# with her DS. If you are anywhere near Seattle I encourage you to come to our support meeting this Saturday. I just posted the details above on this board or you can email me for more info. If the meeting is not a possibility then a visit to the DS board on this site could be very helpful. I know there are several there that are revisions from the band. We also have several revisions from RNY. It's a really friendly board and you would be welcome to come ask questions. I hope this helps. Perhaps you have already thought about this and ruled out DS but if not it is really worth a look. Best of luck no matter what, Laura
Most Active