Roux-en-Y vs. Duodenal Switch?

notgoingdownwithouta
fight

on 9/28/06 12:30 pm - Seattle, WA
A friend of mine has done a ton of research on bariatric surgery. She tells me that duodenal switch (DS) surgery has many significant advantages over Roux-en-Y (RNY) surgery. I haven't been able to find a single resource that compares the two surgeries side by side. Does anyone know of one? If so, please share. Also, my insurance will cover RNY completely, but considers DS to still be "experimental," even though the same insurance company in California considers DS just as valid and non-experimental as RNY. Go figure. Thanks, Craig
kimmee2k
on 9/29/06 11:58 am - Phoenix, AZ
Try this web site found it as i was doing some research of my own. good luck!! www.homanmd.com/ds.htm Kim L.
(deactivated member)
on 10/18/06 4:39 am - Newton, IA
Hi, Craig - I, too, have not yet decided on a procedure. However, the more I read, the more I lean toward the Duodenal Switch. The downsides to the DS are: 1) It's a more complex surgery, which may mean more time in the hosptial and risk of complications, 2) It's more malabsorptive, which means you could possibly have more problems down the road with anemia or osteoporosis, and 3) it's not yet the "gold standard" RNY is, so insurance may not cover it. The upsides are, you won't experience "dumping" because the pyloric valve stays in place. Many consider this to be a downside, because they WANT the dumping to keep them in line. The DS has a longer weight-loss window and studies show that people keep it off for longer. And, according to the link I attached below, folks with a higher BMI may do better with DS. Whatever your choice, I wish you luck! http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/09/060922095040.htm
Most Active