3 tough weeks post-op!

SallyT
on 9/22/06 7:28 am - Federal Way, WA
Hello all. I had my lap surgery on august 31. The surgery went great (also took my gall bladder out), but the care of the doctors and the hospital was just awful. I ended up becoming sick with a bad flu bug while in the hospital. Had to go back to ER on the day of my 1 week post-op. Then went home, which was way too early. Then had to be driven back to Federal Way (3 hr trip 9/8) the next day, to go into ER again and stayed in St. Francis for 3.5 days. The stay was horrible, can't even begin to tell you all the bad things that happened. I never want to see floor 1 of that hospital again, nor do I care to go see the doctor again either. But I have to have my fills, that much I know. I've lost weight, but not happy about being sick with diahrrea and dry heaving to lose the weight. I'm abit weak, but will start walking alittle each day. Got too, didn't go through this all, just to sit at home and do nothing. I will survive this!
PinkFlamingoes
on 9/22/06 8:24 am - Buckley, WA
Sally , I'm sorry you had such a hard time . I hope you feel lots better , soon . Kathy
SallyT
on 9/23/06 2:52 am - Federal Way, WA
Hi Kathy, good to hear from you. I am doing alittle better each day. Got out for a bit yesterday (to drug store) and also took a small walk around outside of my house. Each day will improve, I just know it. Am so excited for you. Tuesday is fast approaching. How you doing on the liquid diet? It was a toughie for me to get through. You hang in there!
PinkFlamingoes
on 9/24/06 5:11 am - Buckley, WA
Yeah i'm on day 6 of 10 on the liquid diet . It hasn't been too bad , but I dieted pretty strictly for a month prior to the liquid diet . I started noticing on day 4 that apparently I had digested everything I could . Now it kind of just goes through me . I hope the next few days go quickly . I'm glad you're starting to feel better . Kathy
mommyslittlemonster
on 9/22/06 10:02 am - Stanwood, WA
Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about your post-op problems. So you're not happy at all with Dr. Oh? That's horrible that you got the flu in the hospital- there are super bugs/viruses floating around those places.. I hate hospitals!
SallyT
on 9/23/06 2:58 am - Federal Way, WA
Thanks Morgen. They never called it the flu in hospital, but I had serious liquid diahhrea for 7 days after surgery, a severe inflamed throat, chills/sweats, cough and just plain weak. The second hospital stay (9-8/11) I had severe dehydration, critical potassium levels and still had my cough and sore throat. Couldn't take any liquids when I came in. No, not happy with Dr. Oh and his mannerism. He's so abrupt and gets mad if you ask him same question 2 times. Oh well, I'm working at that issue. Take care and good luck in your journey!
Barrycards
on 9/22/06 12:38 pm - Seattle, WA
Hi Sally, Sorry to hear you had problems, but I think that is status quo at St. Francis in Federal Way. While I can't say anything about WLS at that facility, I can tell you that I nearly died in that hospital ... no thanks to the lack of urgency on the part of the St. Francis staff. A few years ago, I became very ill and was sent directly from my physician's office to St. Francis and about all they could figure out is that I had some sort of infection. Five days later, a doctor came in to check on me that wasn't even working that shift, jumped into action and diagnosed the problem. Flesh-eating disease. Six surgeries and a two-month coma later, I was learning how to walk and use my arms again. Luckily, my family was my biggest advocate. All they would tell me after I was transferred to another hospital is that they considered filing a weight-discrimination suit. So hang in there Sally. And remember that you are the customer in this case. If you aren't getting the care you want, ride them until they make it happen. Don't let them just brush you off!
SallyT
on 9/23/06 3:06 am - Federal Way, WA
Oh my word, Michael. What a horrific story. I'm so happy, truly, that you are well past that. Well, I did always have to get out of bed and go find the nurse at St. Francis. Otherwise, it was a 45 minute wait to get something. And my sister and I did talk to a upper manager. Don't know if anything sunk in, but one can always hope that their training gets better there. I will never go back there though. The bariactric surgery was wonderful and care was good for that, but don't ever ever ever want to be a patient in that hospital again.
iml8l8l8
on 9/22/06 3:03 pm - Renton, WA
Sally, How horrible for you. At least you appear to have a glass half full attitude. Good luck with the rest of your recovery.
SallyT
on 9/23/06 3:08 am - Federal Way, WA
Yes, I'm slowly on my way to a healthier life. Good luck to you and your upcoming surgery also!!!
Most Active