State employees will be covered for Bariatric Surgery

sinsatible
on 8/29/06 11:47 pm - Olympia, WA
Aug. 23rd, PEBB/Health Care Authurity approved limited bariatric surgery for state employees for 2007. "Benefit improvements. PEBB enrollees will enjoy improved benefits in 2007. A limited bariatric surgery benefit will be available only to employees and non-Medicare retirees enrolled in Regence, Group Health, Kaiser Permanente or Uniform Medical Plan". Exciting news for us state employees. I will be the first to sign up in 2007.
PinkFlamingoes
on 8/30/06 2:00 am - Buckley, WA
Cindy , that's good news , really . Unfortunately it will be too late for me . I am scheduled for my surgery 9/28 . By the time I was to start over & complete the insurances requirements (you know they will have some) , that would delay me a year or more . It would be a 5 month wait for new plans to take affect . Another 6-12 months for a supervised diet . And then none of my tests would be usable , so they'd all have to be redone . Man, I wish they'd done it a year sooner . I've had Uniform , which was great , but my surgeon no longer accepts it . I probably will switch to Regence , which has a high monthly co-pay . I wonder if they will pay for post-op visits after January , since bariatrics wasn't an option in 2006 ? Sorry i'm just moaning out loud . I am really happy for people who need it & selfpay has not been an option (thank got for home equity loans) . I think in the long run it will cost the country less money . People will be healthier , less people having to go on disability , etc...
SallyT
on 8/30/06 3:11 am - Federal Way, WA
Well let me be the first to moan right along with you, Kathy. We are in the same boat. I'm having surgery tomorrow (8/31). Ain't that the most frustrating thing, to hear that UMP is cancelled at Dr. Oh's office? Sure hope they bring it back, otherwise, will not see Dr. Oh next year for anything other than lap band fills.. I'll see my regular doctor for blood tests and such. Maybe if they offer Regence to hubby and I, we will switch to that next year. On my way to my sister's house tonight, and a date with the hospital tomorrow! Still don't know if doctor is taking my gall bladder out. I certainly hope so. Ultrasound showed multiple gall stones. Oh Gee! Maybe so, ya think? Duh
auntlorlee
on 8/30/06 2:30 am - Bellingham, WA
Does that go for school employees too? I was told our Group Health policy will NOT cover it anymore. Interesting.... Lori
beckyboo87
on 9/4/06 6:54 pm - bremerton, WA
You have just made my day! Thank you sooo much for that tip. I have UMP and was planning on paying cash for the surgery this year because they dont currently cover WLS. It is so close to the end of the year that I can wait it out a few more months. You may be first in line, but I will be standing right behind you! :0) I went to the PEBB website...and there it was...changes for 2007. Ill be on the phone with them tomorrow trying to find out more information.
Most Active