Post Ops from Wish Center Renton - Advice Please

BodyNSoul Mismatch
on 8/21/06 12:56 am - Dallas, TX
I am in the process of trying to find a required support person (my husband is not able). I am wondering exactly what they need that support person to do for me. For instance, will they be required to sleep there till I am released? What does the pre-op appointment entail for them? Does the person need to have some medical knowledge? Just thought I would check the board before I call the center one more time. I am sure they are sick of hearing from me by now. Also, has anyone been to a support meeting yet. I have not been able to attend up to this point and was wondering what I will find. I understand that there is a clothing exchange. Is that true? Do they have protein samples as well?
PinkFlamingoes
on 8/21/06 7:57 am - Buckley, WA
Hi Amy , I guess every surgeon/hospital is different . As far as St. Francis goes , the only time I need a support person (physically) was when I had my EGD . Because I wasn't allowed to drive afterwards . I will have to have one listed when I register for pre-op . That is so they know who is going to drive me home . Maybe they want someone who'll kick you in the butt to walk & drink your water . I went to a support meeting in Puyallup @ Vita Lady's house . I enjoyed it . I suppose the wish center has some , there is one at St. Francis & one at St. Joseph's in Tacoma ,also one at the Federal way Group Health . I believe all meetings accept patients from any surgeon . The one I went to had taste testing , I don't know about the others . Kathy
kristibo
on 8/21/06 9:34 am - Redmond, WA
Hi Amy, My husband was my support person, but really just about anyone will do. They aren't required to stay at the hospital with you and they are not required to have any medical knowledge. They are really there just to "support" you. I think they require the person to come to one of your appts with you, so someone else is hearing the same information you are. That way if you need a little help you can call them and they can tell you to drink more water or get in more protein or take 1 more walk around the block. I am just shy of 2 years post op and unfortunately I have only been to a few of the support meetings. They do have a clothing exchange, but I was never at one that they had protein samples. The WISH Center has their own protein drink and they will give you samples of that at one of your appts...I kinda think they try to offer that to you instead of other brands. Each month there is a different topic that is covered at the support meetings, exercise, nutrition, psychological issues, etc Hope this helps. Best of luck to you. Kristi 256/145...5 lbs to goal.
Most Active