Tricare? :crazy:

LaDena
on 8/9/06 4:11 pm - Spokane Valley, WA
Ok, so I haven't done much of the leg work....yet. Still trying to do some research and get a "feel" for this whole process. By the way...thanks to all of you wonderful people who've replied. I have to say that even if I never have WLS...this has got to be one of the best and most informative websites I've ever been to, for anything! So, here's my question of the day.... I have Insurance through my employer (HMA admin). I called and was told, "We don't cover WLS if it's for obesity" Ok...so in my smart assed, twisted little head, I'm thinking, "Why the hell else would you have it?" But, I am not that stupid, I did understand that they meant there had to be other co-morbids...but even then you have to be on your way to the morgue for them to consider it. I also have Tricare Prime, through my husband who is in the USAF. It's considered my secondary insurance. Guess what I'm getting at here is....anybody else have Tricare Prime...any problems? Any input is greatly welcomed!
KuuipoCloud
on 8/10/06 12:56 pm - Oak Harbor, WA
I'm Tricare Prime and I had it approved. Their criteria is that you either have to be 100 pounds overweight AND have a co-morbidity (diabetes, hypertension, etc.) OR be twice your "normal" body weight. The chart that they use for "normal" body weight is beyond rediculous. It said for me (a large-boned 5'8" woman) is 135 pounds. I may have been that in Jr. High. So, it's pretty easy to get approved if you meet the criteria. After my surgeon submitted my paperwork I got my approval within a few days. Michelle
LaDena
on 8/10/06 3:46 pm - Spokane Valley, WA
Hi Michelle, Thanks for your reply. Everyday, I'm learning a little more. I called Tricare today, because I really didn't know where or how to start with them. I haven't had to "use" it for a primary insurance for over 4 years now. Anyway, they made me an office visit with my "primary" doctor here at McChord. The only thing they asked me was, "how long have you been concerned about being overweight?" I about fell off the chair. Not..."how is your health?, do you have any of the following problems...etc." If I go this route, I think I am pretty much going to have to have it at Madigan. I'm a little leary about it. But, am willing to at least go talk to the doctor here at McChord first. If Tricare would let me go elsewhere...I would. I have had some bad experiences in military hospitals and always feel like a guinea pig. Thanks! Dena
LaDena
on 8/13/06 1:23 pm - Spokane Valley, WA
Michelle, Hello there! Hope all is well with you. Just thought I'd let you know that Madigan is now doing Lap RNY. A very good friend of mine just had it out there the end of May, but I guess the wait list is still about a year long. She said that they now have 4 OR's that are dedicated just to WLS. But, I am not sure on the satistics.(ie: how many have been done, and how many surgeons are doing them. She said she love's her doctor. That comes from a gal who had some nasty complications afterwards. I am going to see if Tricare will let me go off base. I had heard that if you are within a certain driving distance from a military hospital that you MUST use the military hospital if it provides the service you need. I am hoping that's not true. I'm going to check out Dr. Weber. Does he do the seminars? I live at McChord, and it would be about an hour drive to see him. But, if he's that good then I'd be willing to make the drive. Looks like you did! Thanks again!
sassy
on 9/14/06 6:47 am - Kaiserslautern Military Community, Germany, XX
try your damndest to get to dr weber in seattle, thats who madigan/tricare will usually refer you to if you choose to go offpost. i had a skitzo dr at madigan who left a 13 inch scar on me and the day he took out my staples told me i could go home and eat pork chops if i so desired.... everyone i have talked to who went to dr weber has had nothing but good things to say about him. dont let yourself be a madigan cut toy, remember they are a "training hospital". if you do end up at madigan dont let anyone other than dr carter do it, hes the best, like number 2 in washington state or something like that, i know hes in the top 5 anyways. also check out the support group at the nutrition clinic, those girls are awesome and will walk you through every step of the way. i really miss them. good luck and if you have any questions, feel free to email me
Most Active