Anybody have surgery @ SFH in Federal Way?

LaDena
on 8/7/06 4:54 pm - Spokane Valley, WA
Hi there! I just went to my PCP last week to get her opinion on GBS. To my surprise, she beat me to the topic. She felt I would be the ''perfect" patient for GBS. Now comes the hard work. I need to start looking for a surgeon. I have gone to one seminar, with Dr. Oh. He was very informative, but I still couldn't help but think in the back of my mind that this guy was in it for the money. Does that make sense? I mean, I know that the doctors need to get paid. (I'm a nurse) But, something kept sending a red flag telling me to look for a different doctor. I am curious if anyone has had surgery @ SFH in Federal Way and if so, who was your doctor and how was your experience. If anybody has had surgery in the Seattle area, please feel free to let me know your thoughts and outcomes. I live at McChord AFB and could have this done at Madigan Army Hospital...but refuse to after 2 of my friends had major complications there. Thanks so much!
cheryl D.
on 8/8/06 2:19 am - bellingham, WA
I had my surg by Dr. Oh. I had no complications, but I never saw him again after my surg. as he let his nurse pactioner take over. The reason I quit going was that although he eccepted BCBS his people did not and the post surg care was going to cost an arm and a leg. Thank the Lord my GP was willing to help me and I am fine 4 1/2 years out. When I refused to go back they threatened me that I would die. I also was not pleased with my Hospital care.
LaDena
on 8/8/06 2:29 am - Spokane Valley, WA
Cheryl, Thanks so much for your reply and honesty. I sort of had that feeling. I really want the best care and a doctor I can trust. I love my PCP. One of her biggest suggestions was to find a doctor that would be there for you afterwards. Not somebody that is going to pass you off to a Nurse Practioner, or back to your PCP. So, your reply in that regard, helps. I was curious about St. Francis, because they advertise that they have done the most WLS in the state...but, that doesn't always mean the care is the best. Thanks so much and take care!
SallyT
on 8/8/06 3:05 am - Federal Way, WA
So, who is Dr. Oh's nurse/practnr? Is it the cutie with short black (frosted) hair? I went to see him for a consult on Aug 2, but I would have to self pay. I do have a lapband surgery scheduled for 10/26, but it seems so far away, and to tell you the truth, I'm starting to chicken out. Between the high prices of all the pre-op tests, let alone the hospital/doctor/office visit/getting fills bills, and the problems of food being stuck, drinking gaggy protein shakes, and never getting to eat 'real' food again, I'm really starting to wonder. I so thought I was ready. I have so many co-morbidities, and it's extremely hard to weigh the pros and cons of this surgery. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, as I need to make a decision soon. Maybe I just need to find a doctor who can give me a closer surgery date, just do it, and quit bouncing my emotions around from day to day. Thanks All For Listening! Worried in Port Townsend - SallyT
cheryl D.
on 8/8/06 4:01 am - bellingham, WA
You do get to kind of go back to normal eating as I said I am 4 1/2 years out. I have to take vitamins. Lots! To much of anything makes me feel ill but this stops me from being over weight. I eat most anything but sugar and uncultured milk. Just not like before but that is what made me over weight!! I started at 353 and now between 150-155 wore a size 5X and now a size 4-6-8. Maybe the surg just makes me eat more normal now at 4 1/2 years post surg. than before the surg cause apparently I ate to much for my body although my husband eats like a horse and weighs 170 now that he cannot have sugar cause he is boardline diebetic ( NO FAIR) He weighed 180 when we married over 35 years ago.
LaDena
on 8/8/06 4:35 am - Spokane Valley, WA
Sally, Hi, I haven't personally even met with Dr. Oh or any of his staff as of yet. I was just trying to get some opinions from people who may have. But, I can say this. I've done a lot of research into the Lap band, bedcause let's face it, it does sound like a good deal, especially since it can be taken out if problems occur, and is less invasive, and less expensive. However, and this comes from working as a digestive health nurse....10 years now. Lap bands can and do slip, they can cause necrosis of the stomach tissue, leading to more surgery. I'm not trying to scare you by any means I'm just stating facts. Those are not my opinions..they are facts. You need to do what's right for you. Let me know what you decide and your take on how things are going. Best of luck! Dena
SallyT
on 8/11/06 7:12 pm - Federal Way, WA
Hi Dena, just wanted to let you know, things have changed for the better. Right after this message was first typed, Dr. Oh's office called me and my LAP surgery has been moved up way earlier. I've driven back to my home town and had lots of tests done and am well on my way to a closer surgery date and a new way of life. I'm very happy about this decision.
Sun Smith
on 8/8/06 12:00 pm - Seattle, WA
It isn't what you asked - but also have you considered getting surgery done out of state? I looked into the Wish Center, but the surgery would cost $28,000. Instead I had my RNY surgery done in Mexico for $14,000. Details are in my profile. I do have a wonderful primary who continues to do my labs and provide follow-up. -Pam
SusanL
on 8/9/06 2:49 am - Somewhere out there, WA
I am scheduled for my LAP RNY on the 17th of October and Dr. Oh is my doctor. I did lots of research and was also scheduled to have it done at Madigan two years ago but the wait was a year and they don't to the RNY Lap. I have had no problems with Dr. Oh or his staff. I have emailed Tina several times to get questions answered and she is very helpful in answereing my questions. I have been the SFH in Federal Way several times now for preop appts and it is one of the best hospitals I have visited so far. (I haven't stayed overnight yet) Dr. Oh is kinda reserved but will answer any questions you have. I have seen other doctors but liked his statistics better. The most important thing to remember is you have to be comfortable with your doctor and be proactive in your healthcare. If you don't get your questions answered that's a red flag to me. Having to see a NP comes with any drs office. However, during my appts I see post-ops seeing Dr Oh as well.
SallyT
on 8/14/06 11:41 pm - Federal Way, WA
I am comfortable with Dr. Oh and his staff. There are very helpful, especially Tina. I just went to the hospital yesterday for their nutrition class and found out what will happen before, during and after surgery. I hope my surgery will be in the morning, but don't know yet. I'm nervous and excited. So looking forward to getting this nasty weight off of me. I am doing the Lap Band. Thank You for your reply. It meant alot!
Most Active