Psych eval

PinkFlamingoes
on 7/15/06 11:13 am - Buckley, WA
Hi all . I'm having my psych eval done on wednesday . What do they ask ? I heard that most of it is a written test . I have heard of people not passing . I can't imagine me not passing . They probably just want to make sure you're stable enough to handle the changes that GBS will bring , right ? This is the first of eight appointments , not counting Dr. pre-op . I will be so pleased when they are all out of the way . All will be done by Aug 14th except the internist , which is Aug 31st . Kathy
lorisb
on 7/16/06 11:21 am - Vancouver, WA
Yep. Many doctors use the MMPI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMPI) to test for behavoiral patterns. This is often referred to as the scan-tron test or the one where you answer the same question like 100 times but its asked just a bit differently every time (I think I had more than 10 questions asking about suicide alone). The doctor then asks questions that the test reveals might be your problem area. Now, not all doctors have you do the MMPI and some get right to the questions but the MMPI has been used for years as a definative in diagnosing conditions. Answer honestly because trying to "trick" the test is actually designed to reveal even more about your personality. Basically, they're looking for your ability to be compliant, not be overly depressed (most people who are overweight test at least slightly with anxiety or depression issues). Good luck! Lori
PinkFlamingoes
on 7/16/06 1:43 pm - Buckley, WA
Thanks for replying . I do appreciate it . I'm not sure if I feel too much better . lol . I feel that I am a very stable person . But , I have had my issues with depression . I don't want to get stuck with months of counceling . That certainly will depress me .
KuuipoCloud
on 7/17/06 3:55 am - Oak Harbor, WA
I found with my psych eval is that they want to be sure that you don't think this surgery will solve all of your problems. That you realize that your problems will still be there whether your 950 pounds or 120 pounds, you will still have problems and you have to be able to deal with them. A lot of times people lose all of this weight and don't understand why they're not ecstatically happy! Well, because all of those issues and problems that we stuffed with mounds of food for so many years are STILL THERE unfortunately! Many psychs recommend ongoing counseling even after the surgery to help deal with issues that arise afterwards. I had my surgery 5/5/05 and while I THOUGHT I knew all of the reasons why I was eating, there were many others that surfaced post-op because I could no longer eat them away. I realized that I medicated my migraines with food, I medicated my anxiety with food, and many, many, many other issues. Now I'm having to deal with them all - it's not easy! But I am dealing with them. Best of luck and just be honest. Michelle
PinkFlamingoes
on 7/17/06 2:27 pm - Buckley, WA
Thanks for replying Michelle . I know what you're saying is true . I lost over 100 pounds six years ago . I had a hard time not being able to hide behind my wall of fat . I definately have issues . My biggest issues now are , if I don't take the weight off i'll either be crippled or dead in 10-20 years . Even if I lived 20 years , what kind of quality of life would I have ? I just worry that it could delay my surgery . Not that I think i'm not stable , because i'm very stable . I do appreciate the help , more than you know . Kathy
lorisb
on 7/19/06 8:47 am - Vancouver, WA
So, you tell us. How did it go? Lori
PinkFlamingoes
on 7/19/06 2:59 pm - Buckley, WA
Well Lori , I think it went okay . Boy , it took a long time . You were right they do ask the same questions , but in different ways . I believe to see if you are lieing . Some of the questions are interesting . Do you feel someone is trying to poison you ? Do people follow you ? lol . The Psychologist told me I seem very calm & patient . He was familiar with the place I work , which is an institution for the develoementally disabled & my grandson who i'm raising has high functioning AUtism . So test 1 done . Next week is my EDG . Kathy
SallyT
on 7/23/06 1:06 pm - Federal Way, WA
Kathy, sounds like your testing is going great. I hope I won't have to do a psych test, as I see my psychiatrist about every 2-3 months as it is. Did I tell you that I am now going to see Dr. Oh. His office just sent me the medical forms yesterday and I have an appt with him on August 2nd. Can't come soon enough. LOL Sally
francesca316
on 7/24/06 9:32 am - Edmonds, WA
Hello everyone, Can anyone tell me what psych evaluation might be necessary if I am already seeing a psychiatrist for counseling and depression meds? I'll see my psych this Wednesday for our weekly appointment, and I'll ask him, too, if he's ever done one for gastric bypass surgery candidates. Just curious whether he can just write a summary or a letter or something, or if I might still have to undergo formal testing. I've been seeing him for a few months now, so I think he knows enough to understand the extent of my issues. Best wishes to all, Francesca
PinkFlamingoes
on 7/24/06 3:11 pm - Buckley, WA
Hi Francesca , The psych eval I took was the MMPI that Lori mentioned above . It was very lengthy . There were three packets of questions . One food related , one relationship (I believe) & one about mental health type questions . You had to fill in the little circles . Took me maybe an hour , but the time it takes depends on you . I'm a quick test taker . According to the receptionist , the test is a requirement of the hospitals & insurances . Kathy
Most Active