I need help, P.S.E.W insurance question new to site

ryamb
on 7/5/06 11:22 am - marysville, WA
Hi I am looking into getting the operations, I am 6 ft and weight is 313 ,have hypertension. Have 2 young girls, 3 1/2 and 2 years and would love to shed some pounds to live longer and keep up them them, anyways after my 2nd child I went to a endocrinologist (sp?) and he said" you wont lose weight weight and if you do you will gain it back, you have a "fat " gene and your body want to store fat, the only thing that will work for you is bypass" after I dried my tears , I said no!!! hes wrong!! well 2 years later here I am , still fat and I think he might be right, SO finally my question......... I read in my insurance booklet , they say they do not cover any weight loss procedures . but if I had a dr say I really needed it because my BFI is 42 and I have high blood pre. and nasty huge varicose veins would they approve, or would I be wasting my time? my insurance is a odd one its my husbands its Puget Sound Electric Workers welfare and trust under that its says First Choice Health ,networking any help would be great thanks!
PinkFlamingoes
on 7/5/06 4:04 pm - Buckley, WA
It's all in the wording & how strong their exclusions are . My policy says Exclusions - weight loss surgery despite any & all co-morbidities . Regardless of severity . That is not it word for word , but they will not cover it at all no matter what . I even asked my surgeon's office & they said Uniform does not cover WLS period . It sucks . So you basically have yours & then your husbands to fall back on ? am I correct ? Read it carefully . Many of them will pay if you have certain comorbidities . Some will deny you the first time & then okay it , if you follow their guidelines . You usually have to either prove you've been on a supervised WL plan for a certain time , or you have to do that & then they will okay it . If you can view it online (your policy) , copy & paste it & maybe we can help more . When in doubt call them . Kathy
domaco
on 7/6/06 12:30 am - EAST WENATCHEE, WA
Monica, I have teamsters welfare trust and it is also First Choice. They have an exclusion on weight loss surgeries. I ended up self paying. The doctor you choose to go to knows all the ins and outs of the various insurance companies and they can help you a lot with that. My insurance did cover all the preop testing because it was not coded as obesity related. I paid 12800 for my lap band, a friend went to Mexico and paid 8500. If you are going RNY then it will be more of course. Good Luck, Donna C
Most Active