Am I too sensitive? should I change offices?

bluesmummy
on 6/30/06 7:59 am - Sammamish, WA
Okay so I have been dealing with Dr.Clinch's office staff off and on the last few weeks ( I like Dr.Clinch). They have apparently not sent in my information until the last two days to my insurance, w/o putting a date/time on the fax (my consult was nearly 3wks ago now). The nurse/surgeon was planning on doing some research into the whole lupus/lapband connection but after 3 wks have said nothing. I took it on my own volition and talked to my rheumy about it- she didn't have any problems with it but also hadn't heard much about it. I had relayed this information in another message about a week ago. Which I guess they just take my word for it. They are always gone on fridays, had vacation last week. I have had to leave messages through another person who is slightly rude and impatient when she calls back. his actual nurse did call me back late last night(left a msg 14 min before we got home and so late that I couldn't call her back)- but at my home number when I specifically stated in my message to only call on my cell phone since I wouldn't be home. So she had to look up the home # instead of just using the message number (which was a written message from the front desk). this is another thing that bugs me- I have to tell any detail of a message to the front desk, and this is not just a bariatric clinic its a surgery clinic for all kinds of surgeries. Why don't they have voicemail or email??? especially in such a high tech office???? Thirdly- the surgeon has only done 120 of these lap-bands so far and I've seen that alot of doctors I could see around here have done 3x or more than that. I guess I'm just getting a bad taste in my mouth about it all. In my mind I am thinking that if they are this evasive and difficult to contact/ not to mention crabby when I do talk to them, what in the world will they be like post-op???? I am seriously thinking of checking out Dr.Lauter in Bellevue. He has a ton of great reviews as do his office staff. Not to mention much more experience in the bariatric arena. I have already done my psych eval, and it was actually in Bellevue so I'm sure she also does these for Dr.Lauter. My nutrition appt is next week which I'm sure would also be transferable. OKay- PLEASE tell me what you think! TIA!! Of course I did call into Lauter's office today but they are taking a 5-day weekend. argh. their answering service was very quick to ask if she should contact the surgeon (which was nice) but of course I am not an emergency and only need to talk to the front desk for an appt. Now I only hope he isn't so far out on appt and such taht I couldn't get in, anytime soon. thank you for reading so far!! Elizabeth
PinkFlamingoes
on 6/30/06 1:11 pm - Buckley, WA
Elizabeth , I don't blame you for being upset . If you have any doubts , i'd switch surgeons . You will be dealing with these people for quite a while . Do you really want to be treated like a nuisence for a year or more ? I've been told that you see the surgeon post op for a year or so . They make a lot of money off of us , there's no reason to be treated like this . If you do switch , i'd make sure you send the office manager a letter of complaint . Kathy
domaco
on 6/30/06 11:53 pm - EAST WENATCHEE, WA
I had my surgery done by Doctor Oh in Federal way. He has done thousands and I know they are working Monday the 3rd because they wanted to schedule my fill for that day. He has a very efficient staff, all wls patients.253-275-6030 Good Luck, Donna C.
Nancy B.
on 7/1/06 11:43 pm - Blaine, WA
Hi Elizabeth: Wow, I can't imagine being treated the way you were. The office staff and doctors at Puget Sound Surgical in Edmunds make me feel like one of their family. They know each and every one of their patients by name and the staff has called me a number of times since I had my surgery three weeks ago (just to make sure I was doing fine). If you feel this uncomfortable now, with this group, you should certainly look into another one, your health is much too important to put into the hands of people who don't seem to have it together. I'm sure there are other very good clinics out there, including the one I went to. Keep us posted on what you do. Blessings, Nancy B., Birch Bay, WA (three weeks post banding and loving it)
Nancy B.
on 7/1/06 11:49 pm - Blaine, WA
Hi Elizabeth again, Are you the same Elizabeth who used to live in Birch Bay? If so, I'm sorry you have such bad memories of this place. We retired here 3 1/2 years ago and just love it. Good luck again on finding just the right doctors, I feel really blessed with Dr. Billing, it's wonderful to have a doc and staff *****ally care about you. Take care, and keep in touch, if you ever decide to re-visit Birch Bay, e-mail me and we'll picnic on the beach. Blessings, Nancy B., Birch Bay, WA
bluesmummy
on 7/2/06 2:44 am - Sammamish, WA
Nancy- yes thats me I loved the area I lived in- just times were a bit rough when i lived there. I wouldn't mind someday having a spare cabin up there. My FIL lives there so we go up every few months. We'll probably be up there next weekend. All my IL's live in Whatcom County. I moved away Oct.2002- about 3.5 yrs ago! thats pretty funny. Independence day is a lot of fun on the Bay- I hope you go down to the beach and enjoy it I am feeling better each day about making my decision to change. I am going with Dr.Montgomery out of Everett but he will still do my surgery at Evergreen Hosp in Kirkland (thankfully- I LOVE this hospital) because of my insurance covg. Thanks! Elizabeth
Misty M.
on 7/2/06 7:47 am - Renton, WA
Ok, I have Dr. Lauter. I love him. He is a great surgeon. I chose him based on what I researched about him, my experiences with his previous patients, and a consult I had with him. He is very professional, his office members are incredibly personal and patient, and he gives it to you straight. However, he doesn't do lapbands. But he can. So don't give up on him. They usually call you back, since it is a small office, and they are often doing the work for you. I didn't even have to write my own letter to the insurance co!!! All of your appts. should transfer..my insurance didnt' cover the folks he normally uses, so I used my own, and he said as long as he gets the files before surgery, the ok's, than that it fine. He is only a few months out...I chose a date a little later in order to accomadate both personal and work schedules. Good luck with Dr. Lauter, he is awesome!!! -Misty
JustHat
on 7/3/06 8:27 pm - NM
I think it is important to find a good fit. What fits with one person might not work for another. And, this goes for the office staff too. You have to have a working relationship that you feel comfortable with. If you don't, then it is likely you will be unyhappy. This is a great journey. You deserve to travel it with people that are supportive and that you feel comfortalbe with. I had some issues with the office staff. First, I couldn't get ahold of the girl that made the appointments. Then for what ever reason, she was in the office, but the appointment book wasn't. But, in the end, I had my surgery and am very happy with my Doc. I don't know how much safer lapband is that RNY, but I would feel uncomfortable with a doc that hadn't done a ton of them. I know they have to learn somewhere and build up a history. But, not on me. Good luck, Hat
Most Active