Another Newbie Seeking Advice

Redhead_Momma
on 6/21/06 3:30 pm - Monroe, WA
Hi all. I am new to the messageboard and could use some help. I am covered by state insurance as I am a contracted worker for DSHS....same as if I had a medical coupon. I have been told that bypass or any other weight loss surgery is not covered. Does anyone have any knowledge or could tell me where to start to get it covered? I fit all the criteria that was posted when I used to have Group Health insurance.....I am confused and frustrated...and while I waste time my condition is just getting worse. I have severe neuropathy of the feet and my quality of life sucks! Please let me know if you have any ideas or information to share. Thanks, Karen
auntlorlee
on 6/22/06 1:51 am - Bellingham, WA
Ms. Karen... I sure hope you find answers. It is very frustrating in the beginning trying to find all the right answers. I hope that someone can help you with your questions. Insurance seems to change daily with the requirements for surgery. Or you find that they cover it and then all of a sudden they don't. Very, very frustrating. Good luck with your quest to finding answers and getting this much needed surgery. I will be sending good thoughts your way! Take care, Lori
PinkFlamingoes
on 6/22/06 11:06 am - Buckley, WA
I agree , more & more companies have added un-contestable exclusions . My insurance covered it a year or two ago & now they don't . I think in the long run , it would cost the insurance a lot less if they paid for it . As peoples health dwindles , their medical costs rise , costing them big bucks . Good luck . Kathy
Laura H.
on 6/29/06 4:54 pm - Seattle, WA
Hi Karen, My insurance supposedly did cover WLS but they had so many hoops for me to jump through that I had to get creative. I had Uterine Fibroids that had been causing me lots of trouble for a while. My insurance happily covered the removal of my fibroids and while I was under I had my WLS surgery (Duodenal Switch in my case) done too. I had to pay my surgeon's fee but insurance covered my entire hospital stay and most of anesthesia. They also covered all of my pre and post op testing with no problem. If you have any other condition that require surgery and you could combine the procedures you might be able to save a lot of money. I saved about $22,000 by combining procedures. Laura
Most Active