Happy Monday June 19th exercise post

auntlorlee
on 6/20/06 2:07 am - Bellingham, WA
Hi Elizabeth! I love Lummi! We go over there almost yearly around Labor Day to a little cottage and stay for the weekend. It's called the Cottage By The Sea. And it is gorgeous! I want to live there fulltime! It's so relaxing! Sorry to hear your little ones are ill. That is not fun! I remember those days! I hope they get well soon! Take care, Lori
kdietsch
on 6/19/06 3:15 pm - Everett, WA
Lori, and Michelle, without dedicated people like you we wouldn't be able to run schools and districts. You guys are the glue that keeps us together, but......... as far as "teachers getting summers off" I beg to differ.... OK, It is 10 PM on Monday night, I have a pile of Finals waiting to be graded, and gee, I will be working after everyone leaves tomorrow. I am one of the teachers who "gets the summer off" But if you counted the hours I work on the weekends and after my "8 hour" day, they more than make up for the 6 weeks that I get off. (and that doesn't include every other summer taking students abroad for a month--not paid) And it is only 6 weeks, because at the end of the year I have work to do after the kiddos depart, and at the beginning of the year there is work to do, and professional development (that I must pay for myself) to go to.... So there is some equity in it. Having worked a job where I could go home and leave it all behind for the evening, I know the difference. But having said that I cherish the time I have off. When I was in the military I had 30 days paid vacation a year, and when I was a civilian working for the military I was able to bank extra hours and take longer vacations, so I have never had a job where I didn't have "time off" I value that much more than more money!!! (which is good, because in this profession, if you are doing it for the money you will be sorely disappointed!!!) Anyway, away from work, back to weight loss and exercise!!! I have added 3 lb weights to my walking, and can already tell the difference in my shoulders and arms. Then yesterday I started adding "sprints" where I walk really (really) fast (almost a speed walk), take a slower walking break and then speed up again. Wow-- what a difference. I have also added Yoga in the mornings-- specifically for the core muscles. I got my meditation tapes and listened to the first one last night. It was great. I can't wait to listen again. Well, Take care and keep active!!! Kelly
auntlorlee
on 6/20/06 2:11 am - Bellingham, WA
Kelly, I think I may have offended you with my comments. I NEVER meant it to sound like it did. I know you work hard finishing up the school year and getting ready for the next. And that alot of you take classes all summer. I am sorry if I hurt your feelings. Please accept my apologies a hundred times over! Lori
ncarter11
on 6/20/06 12:29 am - Edmonds, WA
Hello everyone! I too am jealous of the school employees that get a bit more vaca than the rest. But, shoot, if you all don't deserve it! I'd get a perm vaca in an asylum if I worked with/around kids all day! I think, Lori, you need to amend your summer vision of lounging on the beach to include volley ball or walking or maybe even swimming! I don't think you'll park it and keep it parked on a beach blanket this year. That's old days... finding a spot, covering fat, and not moving so as to avoid drawing attention to ourselves. Maybe that was just me? Of course, now I have a whole new horde of bathing suit insecurities. My legs are kinda gross with skin and they move a LOT when I walk or run. Ick. Same with my arms. Keeps me humble! HA! I contain as much skin as I can in a suit and wear it out in public anyway. I even tackle the embarrassing task of squeezing into a wetsuit right there on the beach! It's got to be gross to watch! Dan, you are prolly in surgery just now. I am praying for you. Last week my totals were big: swam 1.5 miles, biked 105, and ran 12. I did the Race for the Cure on Saturday then biked 40 miles. Nuts. I don't even feel like I am talking about myself! This week I have no intentions of piling up mega-distances. I think the body needs a rest. Sunday I did nothing. The knees were glad. Monday I biked 8 and walked 3. Today I swim .5-1 miles. As for weight... well my body seems to be settling in at 138-140. I reallllllly want to be 135. The fatchick in me is saying - "shuddup, Nancy, you'd've killed to be 140 two years ago!" She's right, but still... I think with all my moving I *should* be working in a constant caloric deficit. Apparently my body doesn't see it that way. Ugh. So while diligent in exercise and keeping fairly accurate record of my intake... the scale won't budge for me. Sigh. It's ok. I feel great! Thanks for keeping these posts going, Lori. Thanks for all you who contribute to these discussions. I am sooo proud of all of us for getting the moving started and keeping it going! It's a huge feat! KUDOS and RahRahs to us all! Keep moving forward! Nancy Medial RNY Sept 2004 276/138-140/138
auntlorlee
on 6/20/06 2:21 am - Bellingham, WA
Thanks Nancy! Yeah, I think you are right about amending my summer vacation plans! I probably won't be able to sit still and just lay there on the beach! The good thing is, where we stay there are 57 steps almost straight up and down to the beach. So....everytime I go down there and back up, I will be doing 114 steps! And the beach is very long so I know I will be walking it. I love walking the beach first thing in the morning around 5:30am or so. The cargo ships are cruising the passage and the fishing boats are setting their nets. It's a little piece of heaven over there, I swear! You are my exercise hero woman! You rock! Lori
kdietsch
on 6/20/06 8:46 am - Everett, WA
Lori, No you didn't hurt my feelings, however I am sensitive to that, because all around me I hear "Oh teachers have it so easy, they get off work at 2:30 and get the whole summer off!" NOT! :o Sorry if I over reacted. I was tired, starting to get my end of the year cold-- wierd how the body does that.... and I was just a bit cranky-- probably not a good time to read emails! So I didn't exercise today, slept the extra hour, have had tons of chicken broth with lemon, and Ecchinacea as well as gargling with warm sal****er to keep the germs at bay. After my nap this afternoon I feel almost human again, and ready to tackle that pile of finals! I grew up in Ferndale too, and lived at Neptune Beach/Sandy Point. I LOVE that area! Lummi and the rest of the San Juans are a piece of heaven on earth. ANd Nancy, I echo Loris comments! You are awesome! I am so inspired by you!
Most Active