What is your experience with The Wish Center Renton and Aetna

BodyNSoul Mismatch
on 6/15/06 2:40 am - Dallas, TX
I am 1 month into the practice diet and am concerned about investing in the expensive vitamins, protein drinks, and workout stuff until I know I am approved or have some certainty. My BMI is 50 and has not dropped below 48 in 9 years. I have no co-morbidities but am experiencing high blood pressure that they will not put me on meds for unless I am denied the surgery. So, I do not have any of the co-morbidities that Aetna requires. Has anyone been in my situation and been approved?
Dan E.
on 6/15/06 6:10 am - Bothell, WA
I have Aetna and here is their web page listing their requirements. http://www.aetna.com/cpb/data/CPBA0157.html The very first selection criteria says: Body mass index (BMI) exceeding 40; OR BMI greater than 35 in conjunction with any of the following severe co-morbidities: Since your BMI is 50 you've already met the first criteria and you don't NEED to have co-morbidities. The hurdle I had with Aetna had more to do with the 6-month medically supervised diet. I had a monthly appointment with my PCP since January - I was approved about 6 weeks ago and I'm scheduled for surgery next week. Wizard Dan
BodyNSoul Mismatch
on 6/15/06 6:32 am - Dallas, TX
Thanks for pointing that out, I did not catch that before (even though I have read it 20 times). With the wish center you only need a 3 month supervised diet. Congrats on your surgery!!!!! I can't wait to be where you are right now. Keep in touch and let me know how it goes.
penelope27
on 6/26/06 3:21 am - Kirkland, WA
Hi, Amy, I am also nearing a month into my pre-op preparations for The WISH Center in Renton. I have Great West insurance, which requires medical necessity. I have a BMI of 41, am 110 lbs overweight, have a documented history of several weight loss progams that have eventually failed, 8 co-morbidities, including, sleep apnea, acid reflux, hip/back pain, depression, high blood pressure (at the low end), interstitial cystitis in my bladder, etc. I am also bipoar. I take 10 medications for these various problems. These all put me in the "medical necessary" category for lap band surgery. I have 4 doctors who are writing letters in support of my surgery. But I am still waiting for approval, hoping for a date in August and keeping my fingers crossed. I purchased the vitamins and calcium citrate immediately and am having no problem. If you check out my profile, you can get details about my experience thus far, med solutions, etc. I noticed this morning that I need to edit it as there are a few grammatical boo-boos, but you'll get the message. I researched the WISH Center extensively and have heard good things about it from people I know. I still have moments when I get anxious and wonder what the hell I'm doing, start to panic that I'll just gain the weight back, but those thoughts are getting farther and farther apart and I'm beginning to visualize myself in normal-sized clothes, regaining my self-confidence about my body, etc., so I'm certain I'm on the right path. If you have any other questions, please feel free to e-mail me. chandler
Most Active