Favorite Success Foods

auntlorlee
on 6/1/06 2:28 am - Bellingham, WA
I was told that when we eat oatmeal etc. for breakfast, it will make us hungrier sooner because of the carbs. I have tested this theory and yes, I do get hungrier sooner than if I was to eat protein from breakfast. So, that may be what is happening with you. I am so new to TOFU. I have only had it in the hot and sour soup. I would love to try it in stir fry. My family would NEVER eat it but I might just make a little side of it for me. They love stir fry, but I don't think they would do the TOFU. Chicken and veggies are a staple around my house too! Lori
ncarter11
on 6/1/06 6:38 am - Edmonds, WA
I have had the EXACT same experience when I switched to cooked cereal in the mornings. I often felt famished just a and hour and a half later. Shakey, nervous hunger. It was awful. I swapped out my oatmeal for cottage cheese and do not have the same plummetting feeling later on. Could you post the recipe for your frittata? Or general proportions? That sounds wonderful and very high in protien, I bet. Can you tell us a little more about using tofu in quiche too. I know i would like that! I drink more Crystal Light I am sure than the rats which were poisioned with it the labs before CL's introduction to the market place!! It's crazy how much I drink. If the stuff is going to kill us b/c of excess then I'll be the first to go! Hehehe! Nancy
kdietsch
on 6/1/06 2:57 pm - Everett, WA
Darn about the cooked cereal. That was my one attempt at getting whole grains into my diet! Something that really lacks... I might just stick with it, and resign myself to eating a snack midmorning.... If I get tired of that I'll switch back to my standard, or try the cottage cheese. OK. Here is what I do for the Frittata (and I am not sure if that is spelled right). I use a cast iron frying pan that I can put in the oven. SPINACH FETA FRITTATA Beat 5 eggs until frothy. (more if you want eggs to totally cover the onions and spinach, less if you want more veggie less egg-- if I am feeding a group I will use more eggs, and then it serves more-- I also use the OMEGA eggs for just that much more umph) I sautee onions (I like the Walla Walla Sweets--again the amount depends on you, but onions really add to the nummy flavor) in a small amount of olive oil add spinach (this cooks down to almost nothing so I heap the frying pan really full) sautee the spinach until it is wilted in the bottom of the pan. Pour the egg mixture over the top of the spinach and onions. Add Crumbled Feta Cheese to the top. (I am very generous with Feta because I LOVE IT!) Place in Oven to bake (around 375-400-- whatever works best for you) It takes about 20 to 30 minutes to bake-- but check it to make sure. It will be done when the center is no longer runny, jiggly, or shiney. It will puff up like a souffle but then go back down when you take it out of the oven. This is my own creation, (as you can tell by the lack of specifics...) You might want salt and pepper (I have cut almost all salt out of my diet, but some things taste better with salt) Enjoy!! I couldn't locate my TOFU Quiche recipe. I will keep looking, I got it out of a book of TOFU recipes (from the library). (Great book LOTS of great recipes-- I just don't remember the title!) Happy eating!
ncarter11
on 6/2/06 12:40 am - Edmonds, WA
Perhaps try a few things before you give up on your cooked cereal. Try adding a scoop of plain protein powder. Cut the cereal in half with cottage cheese or tofu? I just heard on the news that a little fat can put off hunger for a while. I hate the idea of adding fat to my diet, but maybe that's something to research ... I won't give up my morning Fiber!! It has a lot of carbs, but the are low impact carbs - is that the right term? ... over 1/2 the carbs are nonsuluable fiber, they don't impact the blood sugar, thus not likely causing the same hunger so soon afterwards... I dunno... but I NEED that fiber! Hee! I hope you find the right combination that leaves you full, satisfied, and still meets your nutritional goals! If you are anything like me, as soon as you get the right combo, you are tired of it and want to switch it up some! HA! Thank you soooo much for the recipe! YUM - I will try it soon. I love Feta too... it's a good cheese. A lot of flavor for the cals! I think I'll see what I can find online for a tofu quiche! Have a super and blessed Friday! Nancy
kdietsch
on 6/4/06 1:25 pm - Everett, WA
I just tried something today that tasted really good! Probably all of you have tried a version of this already. I sauteed garlic and spinach and added cottage cheese then spagetti sauce (organic no meat) I just added it all in the frying pan, but had I wanted to get fancy I could have layered it for vegetable lasagna w/out the noodles! It sure tasted good! Have a wonderful Week! Kelly
ncarter11
on 6/5/06 12:18 am - Edmonds, WA
That does sound good! I did eat something similar when I was on soft foods... I craved salty food something awful, it seemed like all liquids or soft foods were sweet. Something like this made those weeks bearable! My father is Italian. He made eggplant parmesan a few months back. I loved it and made it myself cutting carbs and fat where I could. Very flavorful and can be made vegetarian! Good morning!!!! Nancy
(deactivated member)
on 6/5/06 7:16 am - Kennewick, WA
My favorite food is pizza .... Yeah, I still like to eat my slice of pizza on my "bad" days OR "cheating" days!! BUT, my favorite food with my WLS lifestyle change is seafood salad ... made from imitation crab!! Lots of greens, a boiled egg, 1/2 cup imitation crab and a couple of teaspoons of FF Thousand Island dressing ... mmmmmmm!! I love this and eat it for lunches alot!! I also love my turkey chilli's and chicken & veggie curries!! Marlize 318/197/170
Most Active